600cc Desert Racer

Fanny B

To me way way too much work involved converting what is basically a road bike into a trials bike. For example throw away the forks, wheels, tank, oil tank, side panels,  foot rests, stand,seat, shocks, mudguards, bars and levers, exhaust etc. Frame to be de lugged and modified to make it competitive or even better junk the frame and buy / build a proper trials one out of T45 or CDS to modern angles and ground clearence. While youre at it might as well make it oil in frame too. A lot of work 

• Like 1

I can't really claim to be knowledgeable in the technicalities of a conversion but my response to this type of question is always the same: what a shame it would be to effectively end the life of a fine old survivor like this by trying to turn it into something it's not, with the sad ending of an inevitably disappointing result.

Edited by cleanorbust
  • Like 1

Thank you both. Basically you are echoing my own thoughts but I wanted to hear it from someone else, then I know it makes sense. Apart from being a lovely looking bike in its own right the buy it now price was a great attraction, just 3,800. That is a bargain by any standards.

Many thanks, Hazel

9 hours ago, suzuki250 said:

thats a nice looking bike, I’d be happy to swap it for my old gasgas if you want a trials bike:banana: It`s not my bike I`m afraid and I`m not into modern bikes, must be British for me. I can`t help it, I`m made that way. Thanks for your interest.

On 10/14/2019 at 5:04 AM, cleanorbust said:

I can't really claim to be knowledgeable in the technicalities of a conversion but my response to this type of question is always the same: what a shame it would be to effectively end the life of a fine old survivor like this by trying to turn it into something it's not, with the sad ending of an inevitably disappointing result.

Concur, +1.

Too much work, and cutting up a very nice looking classic in its own right.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I took the picture straight off ebay months ago. The London based seller had 3 very similar bikes up for sale at the same time and at good prices too. Perhaps someone bought one and like me with my AJS hadn`t realised just how big and heavy they are.