Need general info '01 SY

charlie chitlins

Hey! I'm getting back into trials after a loooong break with an '01 SY 250. I'm a pretty experienced mechanic and used to maintain one for a friend...over 15 years ago! How about some general tips? Best gearbox oil and quantity? Brake/clutch fluid? DOT 4? 5? Anything to know or watch out for? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm already liking the idea of not having to service dogbones.

You still out there, Reilly?

Mike at Tryals shop tells me spares are still in good supply.

What's the best deal in tires (tyres) these days? 

Thanks!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2019 at 9:19 AM, charlie chitlins said:

Hey! I'm getting back into trials after a loooong break with an '01 SY 250. I'm a pretty experienced mechanic and used to maintain one for a friend...over 15 years ago! How about some general tips? Best gearbox oil and quantity? Brake/clutch fluid? DOT 4? 5? Anything to know or watch out for? Any help would be appreciated.

I'm already liking the idea of not having to service dogbones.

You still out there, Reilly?

Mike at Tryals shop tells me spares are still in good supply.

What's the best deal in tires (tyres) these days? 

Thanks!

Mike is still your best info source for all your SY questions.

Yes Charlie I am still here.Good to see you back on the board.I have not had any Scorpas for a while but I can tell you all the things to look out for and check on it.Good reliable machines have fun with it.3D club is still around but lacking riders and new members.Jim

Hi ran atf in mine , they're very well made don't mind of any clutch problems.

If it's had a hard time and the baskets grooved might cause clutch problems.

Take this with a pinch of salt , but drilling the clutch basket to let more oil in about the clutch plates sometimes helps.

Old springs ? Might be worth changing.

I mind they've a funny set up with the slave cyl moving a mechanical arm, (these bend life toffee) make sure this is set up correctly , there's quite a bit about it on the forum probably ages ago though.

Cheers the noo.

Edited by breagh
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I currently own and ride a 2005 SY250R that Mike imported and sold back then.  It has had a few owners before me. 

In the gearbox, I have been running Shell Rotella T4 15w40, but have on the shelf and been considering switching to Maxima MTL 80wt but have not swapped yet.

As for brake and clutch, I run Pentisone DOT4.  The clutch slave I altered by removing the snap ring, as it tends to wear on the slave piston body.  I also installed the jamb nut to the inside.  Many people mention the arms are soft and fail, or have issues with the slave cylinders, on mine I simply ensured there was no binding or limited stroke to the lave cylinder.  During a Ryan Young school, Ryan cautioned me about the brake pads.  I will ask him again for details when the brakes need replacing, but he indicated something about the pads touching each other and not clamping the disc, even though pad material was left.  Need more details to accurately explain.

I have tried the oem white progressive spring, the oem yellow spring and both seemed to allow the rear end to squat more than I cared for.  I have made adapters and installed an aftermarket spring the works well with minimal preload.

Check the engine mount bolts for tightness.

The choke on my bike has been a problematic bother.  My latest efforts hopefully resolved the issue of the rubbed disc not sealing well.

I made some other changes to improve the reliability of the bike, mainly the fabrication of an air filter guard to prevent water from coming down the airbox under the fender and filling the inside of the airbox.  I also did away with the oem rear fender that so far for me was impossible to find at a reasonable price.

Mike has been great to talk with and is knowledgeable on these machines.  My most recent call to him discussed the ignition timing.  I did dial back the timing on my SY to midway between the Yamaha spec and Scorpas setup.  I found the Scorpa setup gave random flameouts, that felt like I either had to increase idle speed or take a small amount of timing out.

The ADV website allows more photos so if you check there, I posted a topic about the SY and some changes I made.  For me, the bike is far more capable than I am.  Last event, I asked one of the local higher class riders to try it and give an opinion on the setup.  His dad owned SY250s years ago.  Within minutes, my SY was doing fine on stuff I would likely never attempt.

I installed Dunlop tires.

Edited by pmk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...