Rev 3 270 2007 Stock squish?

Crazymac680

Hi. I'm trying to find the stock squish on the above bike. I have a book for the 2010 Evo book but that gives a measurement for the top of the piston to the cylinder. This doesn't seem right for my bike as it would give my 4.5mm squish. Thanks for any help.

22 hours ago, dan williams said:

This might be a dumb question but why bother? Are you trying to change engine characteristics? Is this a complete rebuild?

you would bother if you want the best engine performance, 

I didn't think it was important until I set the clearance correctly on a 175 Yamaha , and found a noticeable improvement in power , plus it stopped pinging ( which had been a problem previously }

On 10/21/2019 at 5:38 PM, dan williams said:

This might be a dumb question but why bother? Are you trying to change engine characteristics? Is this a complete rebuild?

He has measured his squish at 4.5mm. He should definitely bother

Thanks guys. I gave up on the top of piston to top of cylinder measurement. A face book user thinks that measurement was for a flat piston while mine is dome shaped. 

Once I stopped trying to change gaskets, to chase that measurement. I installed everything stock and measured squish at 1.8mm. As I'd just spent the night researching squish. This seems like a safe distance to start with. Most of the research I did, stated that Between 1 at 2mm would be your tuning zone.

Under 1 would be dangerous as my piston expand up 0.7mm when hot.

It's a shame beta don't have a book measurement to remove any confusion.

3 hours ago, Crazymac680 said:

Thanks guys. I gave up on the top of piston to top of cylinder measurement. A face book user thinks that measurement was for a flat piston while mine is dome shaped. 

Once I stopped trying to change gaskets, to chase that measurement. I installed everything stock and measured squish at 1.8mm. As I'd just spent the night researching squish. This seems like a safe distance to start with. Most of the research I did, stated that Between 1 at 2mm would be your tuning zone.

Under 1 would be dangerous as my piston expand up 0.7mm when hot.

It's a shame beta don't have a book measurement to remove any confusion.

Beta don't even have a book measurement for ignition timing, so are unlikely to see squish as an important piece of information.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke