Weak Evo Rear Brake Ideas?

mcman56

Are there any new learnings to improve the evo rear brake?   I had a 14 Factory with weak rear brake and tried everything, all kinds of pads, new disc, replace master cylinder and caliper with latest (2017 or 18?)  Still it remained much the same.  It did not feel spongy, just weak.  If you stomp on it, it will stop but it is not easy to finesse in technical situations.  Now I have a 2016 evo that is the same.  Others have had a similar experience.  My rev3 rear brake was vastly superior.  I have ridden 2019 and maybe 2018 models that have quite nice rear brake feel but when I look at all of the hardware, it looks the same.  ?????          

Beta has always had poor working rear brakes all the way back to the TR34. It must be the leverage in the brake pedal as most of the parts have been the same to other brands. I worked on a 2019 last weekend and it was better, but then I got on a TRS right away and not even close to being in the same league.

The REV3 rear disc is 5 mm bigger in diameter.  I tried comparing the REV3 pedal to the evo pedal.  The REV3 does look longer but there are so many curves it i shard to put a number on it.  I believe other brands like Gas Gas actually have smaller discs

Edited by mcman56

I've read that the master cylinder has a different bore from 2018, it might be worth a try, I've considered buying one but haven't got around to it.

New pedal bush and bearing helps a lot, but not for long, once worn the pedal twists and bends inwards. Not letting the pads get more than half worn helps. As already mentioned getting some heat into it before you need it also helps.

I am new to trials and not ridden many bikes but always found the rear brake weak on my 2012 300 4T. I spotted that Jitsie do one with a larger tip that sticks out further. Being a cheapskate I made an extension to the tip which comes out about 20mm further. I found it a lot better, with the original tip only the inside of my boot is on the pedal so the harder you push the more your foot rolls off. With the longer tip the force is through the centre of the boot and it seems to be much more effective. I may try and make another tip with the same extra width but moves it forward and effectively lengthens the lever. I could just spend the money but it’s not my style.

I looked at 2 bikes yesterday.  2016 Beta master cylinder has Beta cast in.  A 2019 Beta Factory has what I think is a Brachtek symbol cast in and boasts of better brakes.  Calipers looks the same except that the factory caliper has some dot matrix pattern on the back with numbers.  2019 felt better.  Still, what can really be different?  They look to be the same size.  A bigger piston would move more fluid but have less psi (pounds per square inch).  A smaller piston would move less fluid so would require more travel but would have more psi so maybe that would be the direction.  

IMG_3683.JPG

IMG_3681.JPG

I stretched the caliper and installed a KX65 brake disc (180 mm vs 160 mm) and got a more powerful brake.  Still, initial feel was not as good as I wanted. 

Next I noticed that if I put my heel on the peg it felt pretty good when braking.  This probably only applies to us wee people with small feet (size 9).  I have been wearing boots with heels and noticed it felt better with the heel shoved up tight against the rear of the foot peg.  Comparing a Rev 3 to the Evo, front of foot peg to brake tip distance is about the same.  However, the Evo has wider pegs so with heel, it forces your foot about 1/2" further back.  I took BM1200s advice and bought the Jitsie pedal.  It does come farther back so I'm hoping that will do the trick.       

IMG_3690.JPG

IMG_3691.JPG

IMG_3693.JPG

• Like 1

So I get the rear brake does not work as good as others, but why waste your time. Go ride the bike, or change brands. The only thing a better brake is going to do is give you  enough to do rear wheel hops. And then only if you have the ability.

• Haha 1