Sherpa 183 Crank Case damage

Jcarteradams

Evening all, 

I had the Sherpa running around the other day for a good few hours and it felt great. No issues really, with most of the previous questions rectified. However at the end of the session the bike ran out of fuel again so I topped it up and it didn’t start up again.  Still getting a really strong spark, I thought i had got the fuel mixture ratios wrong so I emptied the tank and and also cleaned the carb and jets out for good measure. Still no start. So I thought must be the timing. 

However, when refitting the mag case last, I have somehow mixed up a longer screw and screwed it into the wrong position (bottom screw thread) of the mag case, which has unbelievably punctured the crankcase. I was obviously nearly in tears when I saw the oil spurting out, as I thought about checking the timing again due to the starting problems. Now I’m presuming this is the problem due to lack of compression, but it was running so now I’m not too sure. 

I guess I would like to know if this silly mistake can be simply repaired, without the need for a new crank case! 

Many thanks 

james 

If you had oil spurting out you've broken into the gearbox which won't affect compression. you may be able to use thread tape as a temporary fix but at some stage you'll need to split the motor & have the end of the offending hole filled up which hopefully shouldn't be a big job for a good welder

• Like 3

Just wondering.  What would happen if you put the correct bolt back in, with a touch of silicone just around the shoulder of the head of the bolt?  The bolt thread would be sealing the break-through. 

Would that work?  Perhaps a permanent fix?

Edited by stpauls
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...