Leaking Gasoline from frame

Mountainbrad

I have an 09 Beta 250. As most know, the petrol tank is built into the frame.  My bike has a slow leak.  My bike had been leaking petrol from a weld about 2 or 3 cm above the petcock area.  I estimate it will leak about a drip every 2-3 minutes. It leaks just slower than the evaporation rate because I usually don't see a puddle but it can be seen on the engine. If it is cold in the garage and the evaporation rate is slower,  after a day I will find a small 3cm stain on the concrete.  My garage stinks off fuel. 

J&B weld compound worked for a couple of months. 

Stripping the bike down to get it welded is inconvenient at the moment.  Does anyone else have any ideas how to stop the leak?  Wondering if pinching the tank cap tube would create a vacuum ?

The crack in the frame is only going to get worse the more the bike is used. You would be better talking nicely to the Beta importer and seeing if they’re willing to help (bearing in mind that your bike is over 10 years old), or buy a second hand frame from  a 2010 onwards model. It doesn’t take long change everything from one frame to the other.

8 hours ago, dwb5151 said:

I was told by a Beta dealer that there bike frames come with a life time warranty. I was told they replaced a frame that was very old. How old? i cant remember. 

Probably only if you're the original owner.

Maybe, though, they'll be helpful with telling the OP how to update/reinforce his.

6 hours ago, Mountainbrad said:

How many man-hours do you think are required to remove components off of the leaking frame and reinstall on a new(or repaired frame)  assuming the work is completed by a professional mechanic or experienced qualified individual?

A days work, take out fag breaks, loo breaks, meal breaks and mobile phone checking.....actual work time 4 hours assuming nothing is seized or broken and no mods needed to make parts fit new frame. I see feetupfun reckons on 2 hours, in reality he could be right but time and motion means there is no time to search for tools and move about to clean and inspect items. Choosing my words carefully the professional/ experienced individual would want to ensure that no damage is done by hasty dismantling and transfer of parts to the new frame. Half an hour just to sort the head bearings unless new ones are going in then 15 minutes. That leaves an hour and three quarters to do the rest.... 

Edited by section swept
Added material
  • Like 2

I had to do mine in 2002. It came apart quick. But probably took right around 4 hours. It could be done faster, but it is the perfect time to lube and clean everything properly. The rear end and the front end can come off as a complete unit. No reason to remove just the wheels etc.

4 hours is quick.Also depends on everything coming undone easily and no worn parts needed,which you might have to wait to get.Its not a difficult job,worth taking time and checking everything before it goes onto the new frame