first trial bike, sherco 300?

robson

hi, getting first trial bike soon, most likely sherco 300.  (I'm 230lb)

Good choice? Generally I am enduro rider (riding ktm 500 exc) but need a small bike for training everywhere

including garage, house.   Second question can I use alpinestars tech 10 boots for trial or better get tech T?

6 minutes ago, technowaldo said:

300 a lively beast better with a 250 and your mx boots won’t really be much good too stiff and bulky buy a set of trials boots you won’t regret it

actually 250 is also available, you think will be better? I'm not too heavy for this?

Regarding boots, I am afraid a bit for my ankles as most trial boots I saw are don't provide much protection.

It depends what you are going to be doing. If you want to learn proper trials and maybe do the odd competition then id go for the 250, the 300 could be too much in a confined space. If you're getting a trials bike just to rake about and practice the odd technical bit to enhance your enduro riding then there is no harm in the 300

Edited by faussy
  • Like 2

As a general rule of thumb to aid understanding (which isn't universally true) 125 and 300 bikes are highly tuned serious competition machines, 250s are often in a lower state of tune for beginners, it's not just the 50cc that makes the difference.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, robson said:

actually 250 is also available, you think will be better? I'm not too heavy for this?

Regarding boots, I am afraid a bit for my ankles as most trial boots I saw are don't provide much protection.

FYI: a 250 isn't to small by any stretch. 

Here is my experience with engine size for reference... My daughter rides an 08 Gas Gas TXT Pro 125 and my wife has a Montesa 4RT 250 and I am ~200 lbs (~91 kg).

I have more than once on the 125 taken it for a ride and it halls me around fine.  We are at around 3000' elevation and even at around 5000 about the only thing I have had to do is down shift to second on a big hill clime.  

My wife's 250, well there isn't anything it can't do for me that I am capable of doing on my Montesa 300 RR.  Simply put I don't need anything bigger than the 250, just couldn't pass up the 300 as a B-Day present from my wife a couple summers ago.  PS. would have been happy with a 260 4RT if they shop had one...

Side note: I am not sure the market out there for bikes, however I would say get the one that has a better re-sale market between the two as both will do fine for your size.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1