4rt 2014 nightmare to start

John roach

Got a montesa 4rt 2014 it's a nightmare to start especially when in use do valve clearance need doing or piston rings to also where can I get a manual for it any help be grateful have to bump it to start my 50 year old lungs can't handle it much more .2 stroke coming I think lol spark is not great too put 3 plugs in it now 

Edited by John roach

John,

Maybe you already know the startup procedure or maybe not. 

The 4rts need NO throttle to start, and also must have a tickover of approx 1800rpm. If this has been lowered the bike will be a pain to start.

Holding the throttle wide open and kicking twice resets the ECU and may also help with your issue.

Hope this helps 

• Like 2

• Andy changed the title to 4rt 2014 nightmare to start

Hi gone through all this with mine------ check leads on coil clean also check earth leads  they do black with contamination.

i have also found spark plugs are varnishing up with fuel & they do like new plugs

you can always screw air screw out to give more air if that works could be time to remove ecu and give it a clean 

over oiling the air filter will not help with starting

you dont say if bad to start all time or just when hot  if hot would say check valves  

hope this might help

As stated above, the 2 things that seem to cause the most issues with a 4RT in the way you are talking are low tick over (not 1800 RPM) and valves being out of spec on the tight side.  

I would of course check the tick over (idle RPM) is 1800 first, then if that's good then move to valves and let us know if your still seeing the issue.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...