Raga 300 03-04 worth saving?

Crazymac680

Found a bike that was cooked and needs a full rebuild. Do we think it would be worth saving? Are parts hard to find? It hasn't moved in 8 years. 

Still rolls and brakes. Clutch ain't working. No compression. 

I'm told it was an awesome bike.

I think he would take £4 or 500

IMG_20191104_111411537.jpg

IMG_20191104_112311453.jpg

IMG_20191104_112319818.jpg

IMG_20191104_112328555.jpg

IMG_20191104_112331512.jpg

IMG_20191104_110732406.jpg

Haha I'm sure it will cost me £600 in piston, replating, bearings and bits and bobs.

I have a beta rev 3 270 that I've just rebuilt. I fancied rebuilding something with a bit more prestige. Hoped a Raga might be a good one as they only made 300-400.

5 minutes ago, Crazymac680 said:

I fancied rebuilding something with a bit more prestige. Hoped a Raga might be a good one as they only made 300-400.

In my eyes its not an iconic raga. The gold ones have more prestige i guess, as much as i hate the sight of them

Most old Trials bikes are a pain,even rough newish ones aren't worth the trouble. Don't suppose it would even break as there's very few old Gassers still in use..

Just made that light, but not too last, sorry I can't be positive but I've been there.

Thanks guys. My instinct was to walk away as soon as I seen it. It was just so rough and unloved. It would never be a top one, even with a fresh engine.

I'll keep waiting for something I love. I'm sure my beta will throw me some curve balls to keep me busy ?

I think the Raga replica came with magnesium crankcases, if not looked after the engine will be a definite money pit, you already advise it dosn't have any compression and the clutch has a problem so possibly also the gearbox.

Not sure about bike availability on the Isle of Lewis but I would 'not touch that one with yours !'

Edited by collyolly

I share your desire for a "project".  I think if you are mechanical it is just a natural way to be.  I would enjoy that old heap of crap and returning it to good order.  But I am sure we both know that financially it is a fool's errand.  Anything vaguely "worn out" just doesn't make sense.  If the start price was free you might (just) get a decent ride at a reasonable outlay, but 4-500 is way too much.  I guess it might (just) be worth that for spares if someone needed a donor bike and the parts that are needed correspond to the good bits of the donor.

I am very lucky because I don't have the time to do anything up and my missus soon unleashes the Paddington Bear stare whenever such a "project" is mentioned. ?

• 2 months later...

I took on a 1995 GasGas JT25 contact project bike. Yes it cost good money to put right but you can buy a bike that's 3-4 years old that needs similar work on it and thats on top of a higher purchase price.  It all depends on how you look at things I guess. In 25 years time what will be left of the 90's and 00's bikes?