After much lurking.....

Crispy

Hi all,

As the title says, been reading the forums for a bit and finally decided to book myself onto a trials experience day later this month. Been a road rider in the Uk for years and after a brief midlife enduro crisis a few years ago :-D I think... maybe I'm better suited to Trials, really want to do more with my weekends that's bike related and off road but suitable for a 50 something kid  !!

Anyway... I guess I'll know if it's for me in a couple of weeks !

No doubt there will be lots of questions and archive browsing..... ?

Thanks

Crispy

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scatman said:

Hope you enjoy your experience day and decide trials is for you. Its much easier on the body than enduro and just as much fun. 

Good luck! 

From another 50 something kid..... 

Thanks for the welcome scatman ??I’m really looking forward to it..... and who doesn’t like bike shopping, even on a budget ?

Those two are the models I’ve been browsing scatman, I have someone at my work that I think has a 2005 model beta 250, would that be a rev3? It’s not been used for some time, so I’m hoping he’ll part with it. Assuming it’s in decent condition and just needs recommissioning etc, what would be a ball park offer without offending? I see one or two on the bay in running order fetching £900+

I would imagine somewhere between £900 to £1200 depending on condition although sometimes bikes that look immaculate but haven't been used can give problems, faulty stators and crank seals etc. 

If it was me I would be looking to spend in the region of £2k and for that money you are into Evo territory. Rev 3's are a good bike but Evo's are nicer to ride, lighter and just all round easier to get on with. I am of course assuming you want to buy a Beta. 

I would go with a 200 if you can find one as they don't come up very often. I ride with a bunch of guys who ride 250s, 270s and 300s and in my opinion they are all over biked. Club level trials is about throttle control, technique and balance and a smaller engine gives you more time to think and react. I know you will get others telling you its all about "power" and you need at least a 250 but quite frankly unless your surname is Dabill, Raga or Bou you don't. 

Whichever way you decide to go the main thing is to enjoy your riding and have fun. After all isn't that the main reason we ride motorcycles ?

• Like 1