Stop allowed for 2020

faussy

See the link below

https://www.trialscentral.com/news-archive/sub-headlines/21115-british-championship-returns-to-stop-allowed

What's people's thoughts? Personally I think it sounds kinda silly. Even if you don't like the current fim rules I always think you should follow them to best help our riders that compete on the world scene.

7 minutes ago, rabie said:

apparently, there was a meeting of all the stakeholders and this what they wanted...

I wonder if competitors were consulted. Sometimes you find with these kind of things, the people who are effected the most are the ones with the least say

The Spanish championship is stop allowed and I don’t see it slowing there progression, I think this is absolutely fantastic news and just what the series needed, look at the north berks super trial and the spectators that draws in,no stop just doesn’t work at this level and above it’s just too hard to observe properly it’s clearly not working at world level either ,looks to me like some one has finally sat up and realised , roll on 2020 I say !!

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, faussy said:

What's people's thoughts? Personally I think it sounds kinda silly. Even if you don't like the current fim rules I always think you should follow them to best help our riders that compete on the world scene.

What's to say that the world championship wont follow suit, may be for once the ACU is ahead of the game.

• Like 3

Don't usually feel any need to offer my two bits on most of these discussions but this is one I am strongly opinioned on...

Hurray!!  Get rid of no stop finally.  In theory I get the idea of no stop, In practice it is impossibly inaccurate to score. The subjectivity involved makes for an impossible task and after seeing the gamut of rides that are rewarded with a zero score when in fact the rider did indeed completely stop to situations where a rider did not stop, or paused for a millisecond and is given a 5 on what in truth was a more worthy ride than another competitor are all too commonplace.

Can you imagine how the scorecards would show if bikes were fitted with technology that saw a gps unit or similar that would register a "stop" (five) , each and every time a bike actually did cease forward motion? Not picking on anyone in particular but I might venture that even the master, Mr. B would end up with double or even triple digit scores with alarming regularity. 

With focus, any one of us can count dabs accurately, stopwatches don't lie and a riders score can be seen as a true and factual number. Eliminating all the nonsense of "did he or didn't he stop" or "it was just for a second... or was it?" or "man, what a ride, can't stomach giving out a five with that effort..." is the way it has to be if you want to have a contest where the results are meaningful and as close as possible to the truth.

One last observation, if a trials competition is a test to determine the person with the highest degree of proficiency on a trials motorcycle then the thought of "fiving" a rider who had the skill necessary to leap backwards after missing the summit of a huge wall or step, land feet up and on the wheels and then go back up and over on a second try, seems somewhat ridiculous.

Cheers, Guy

Edited by trialguy

"Going backwards while footing is a five"  still going to be a split / millisecond decision where the better riders get the benefit of the doubt.

How do you score rocking on the sump guard and using the boot toes to regain forward motion ?

Is stopped with a food down a 1 or a 5 ?

Edited by b40rt
  • Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 6:11 AM, b40rt said:

"Going backwards while footing is a five"  still going to be a split / millisecond decision where the better riders get the benefit of the doubt.

How do you score rocking on the sump guard and using the boot toes to regain forward motion ?

Is stopped with a food down a 1 or a 5 ?

footing and going back is the easiest judgement call

toes are dabs, always have been except indoors

stopped with foot down 1

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fair play to Brian Higgins and the ACU for such a bold step -don't think anybody can level the fuddy duddy old timers not listening tag any more.

It will be an interesting championship and bound to be a few snags but with Brian visiting every organiser and event prior to the date of the trial as he did this year should hopefully get consistency on severity and section length sortied to suit the new rules.  

Riders will need to re-learn the skill of managing their time in a sectiion and not mess about on the first hazard and then run out of time and complain the section is too long :wall:??

I can remember first time around  stop allowed  it about killed trials off  Sections were mad  so tight if riders could not hop the bikes about or reverse , just gave the sport up and entrys dropped off .

Wonder how long before the cry comes we want to keep the no stop sections marked out but ride them stop allowed much they way they do now ! and not made mega tight and technical 

The problem is you can have any set of rules you want  but  if there not applied 100% it turns into a farce,

Problem is with trials  its what the observer sees at the time, and that should be the end of it !!! no youtube experts giving there 1p worth

So will all clubs be going TSR22A  so  riders can practice there skills ? 

• Like 2