Stop allowed for 2020

faussy

18 hours ago, timp said:

What was the section time limit back then? I seem to remember 1.5 minutes but may be way out.

1 minute seems an expensive event. 3 laps of 15. 45 minutes riding time per event.

yes 1 min 30 seconds but setion length at btc less than wtc. again i hope that someone can take an overview and look at time factor vs, section length and severity and make sure it works as it should.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

yes 1 min 30 seconds but setion length at btc less than wtc. again i hope that someone can take an overview and look at time factor vs, section length and severity and make sure it works as it should.

I do hope so, otherwise the well intentioned changes may surmount to nothing. Instead of 5 for stopping you'll get a 5 for running out of time instead. I'm certainly intrigued how the 1 minute limit was arrived at. 1.30 would have the same effect - prevent the riders from poncing about in the sections for two long but plenty long enough to have a good attempt at the section. 1 minute will work however the sections will have to be much shorter than previous years.

I think the biggest issue is that ALL of the rules can work (including stop allowed) however the crux of it is the sections need to be set accordingly.

If the sections are set correctly and observed to the rules no stop works just fine.

As will the new rules but not there's still no need to set the sections so that you dissappear up your own behind.

I think good flowing sections that that can be ridden well within the time limit is the key to making the new rules a success.

Fingers X'ed

The 1:30 stop allowed scoring is the most common system in use at the national level by a landslide (Italy, France, Japan, Spain, US, +++). Sure, you can screw it up if your section setters don't know what they're doing, but it's not like there isn't a lot of experience with this setup. I'm a million times happier awarding 5's for failing a time cut versus attempting to decide if someone has stopped or not.

Edited by heffergm
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

FYI- Brian Higgins is the series coordinator and visited all the rounds this year prior to the events and was very much hands on and helped on the weekend of the event. As I believe he will be doing the same in 2020 and working with clubs and C of C to get consistency of severity and length of section correct. I'm thinking the idea is to keep the more flowing no stop style sections but take away the debate of did they pause for a micro second or not. It will be more are you out in time and did you put a foot down of fall off. Riders will have to re learn the skill of balancing and maybe saving a one and then rushing the section or maybe gamble a dab and makes sure of the rest of the sections. Maybe the 90 seconds allows too much static time and the trial becomes a bit to much stop start.

I guess time will tell but but at least it will be different.      

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, jimmyl said:

FYI- Brian Higgins is the series coordinator and visited all the rounds this year prior to the events and was very much hands on and helped on the weekend of the event. As I believe he will be doing the same in 2020 and working with clubs and C of C to get consistency of severity and length of section correct. I'm thinking the idea is to keep the more flowing no stop style sections but take away the debate of did they pause for a micro second or not. It will be more are you out in time and did you put a foot down of fall off. Riders will have to re learn the skill of balancing and maybe saving a one and then rushing the section or maybe gamble a dab and makes sure of the rest of the sections. Maybe the 90 seconds allows too much static time and the trial becomes a bit to much stop start.

I guess time will tell but but at least it will be different.      

I'm sure the riders will make it clear if it's good at the end of the first event..

• Like 1