2019 GasGas clutch differences

smarty156

I have a 2014 300 Pro Racing and last week I tried the clutch action on a 2019 300. It was soooo much lighter!

Seems they have a thinner spring which I guess is the reason it's so light. Also has the adjustable clutch.

Anyone know if there are any other differences and if it's possible to change my 2014 clutch to be the same as the 2019? I have arm issues (compartment syndrome) and the lighter the lever action the better for me.

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, faussy said:

2019 has a different spring and adjustable preload

Could you just put the 2019 spring and adjustable preload ring into a 2014 bike or would it not work? Is there anything else different?

I know the clutch cover is also different. I wonder if the slave cylinder is different as well?

Changing a few clutch parts would be a lot cheaper than buying a new bike!

Edited by smarty156

3 minutes ago, smarty156 said:

Could you just put the 2019 spring and adjustable preload ring into a 2014 bike or would it not work? Is there anything else different?

I know the clutch cover is also different. I wonder if the slave cylinder is different as well?

Changing a few clutch parts would be a lot cheaper than buying a new bike!

AFAIK yes, but ive never seen inside a 2019 so cant say for sure. Try GGUK

Edited by faussy

21 hours ago, smarty156 said:

I have a 2014 300 Pro Racing and last week I tried the clutch action on a 2019 300. It was soooo much lighter!

Seems they have a thinner spring which I guess is the reason it's so light. Also has the adjustable clutch.

Anyone know if there are any other differences and if it's possible to change my 2014 clutch to be the same as the 2019? I have arm issues (compartment syndrome) and the lighter the lever action the better for me.

Thanks.

Is yours set up correctly? When is the last time you took the clutch lout and measured the clutch pack? They swell with time and lever becomes stiffer.

You can change it to 19 parts no problem,

The 2018-19 Racing Bellville spring is 1.2mm, yours id 1.5mm.

The part number is: MT22020GG-CGI-1

Make sure you get that one and not a 19 CONTACT Spring, as that is still 1.5mm

The clutch friction material is also different on the 19 to your 14, it is a kevlar material. It makes a difference to the "bite', but not the softness of the lever pull.

The clutch pre-load plate is different as well. 19 is adjustable and has 3 positions to choose from. Part number MT22030GG-CNW-1

Edited by arnoux
  • Like 3

The 2019 model has Kevlar plates. These were a massive improvement on the 2017, 2017 E4 and 2018 models. Something had been changed on these models as the tolerance is now set between 9.90 - 10.02. The 2 steel plates are set-up differently you have one at 2mm and the other one at around 1.4 to get it within tolerance. You can adjust the speed of the clutch using the 3 different positions of the bolts, as mentioned above. The diameter of the hose and the type of master cylinder that is on the bike and also make a difference.

My advice is that if the clutch works well but is slightly heavy then leave it alone. I prefer one that is heavy but has really good feel. Sometimes you can mess with it to make it lighter and the clutch performance deteriorates.

• Like 2