Junior trials bikes , getting them started ?? help

aevans692

Hi everyone looking for some advice ..  

So I wanted to get my son started in trials , He is 12 in Jan and is only around 4'6  (138cm ) roughly ...   He is a bit small for his age I guess , reasonably strong and fit very active..  

Anyway , wanted to get him riding , so the other day I saw a beta 80cc big wheel bike , which when I looked at it looked like it would be the right size for him with plenty of growing room ..  well today I took him out with it , and the bike seems really big for him , he isn't able to start it yet , some because of lack of technique and some because the bike is big ..  we pottered about for an hour or so, with me by his side , he was getting used to using the throttle and clutch , and was very wobbly on the bike to the point that I was pretty much keeping things balanced and upright ...  I know its a big learning curve for him and we all started somewhere ...   I initially thought the 80cc big wheel would be the better choice as he would grow into it , but im a bit unsure now ...   I paid £950 its 2004 , all seems good with it tho it needs a good clean .. I was going to get him to work on it and clean it so he would learn all about them ..  

Now what to do ? , Should I try and sell the bike? , and try and pick up a small wheel 80 , or even a 50 cc just to get him going with things , or is it better to keep the big wheel 80 which I bought, and preserver with this ..  Or should I try and pick up a 50 cc to give him a bit more experience on a smaller bike ? .. He isn't interested in any of the electric bikes at all . ..  we are on a reasonable budget I don't mind buying something but cant afford to wast money if you know what I mean ..   

I was hoping to get some advice from other trial parents ... Cheers  . .  

I've taught many kids how to ride.

The biggest mistake is to get a bike they can "grow into."

The more they feel in control of the bike...the more they can throw it around...the better they'll feel.

Ever notice how kids love to ride bicycles that are way too small for them? This gives them that feeling of total control over it.

In general, only step up when the bike is almost comically too small...or when it's really clear that the kid really wants something bigger.

• Like 3

Certainly swap it for a small wheel 80 if you can find one.

I've still got my 14 year old on a Beta 80 bw and he's 5ft5 and strong as an ox,there's plenty time for a bigger bike.

Better to learn technique than use the size/power of the bike to mask riding ability.

Even the kids that have been riding Electrics for 3 years go backwards 3 months when they convert to petrol and clutch etc.   The Beta 80 big wheel is the right bike, just let him get used to it on a flat grass field with flags. i.e. slow work, figures of eight, slipping clutch in second gear tight turns etc more importantly let him have a blast around every 10 mins, not only clears the engine out but they enjoy a break.

Edited by arthritic

6 hours ago, aevans692 said:

this has become a real pain to know what to do for the best, I dont seem to see many SW betas going ...  well cheap / lower price ..  

Thats the big issue - Only Beta do any 80cc bikes - so demand often outstrips demand,

The good news is that they are basically the same bike since about 2007 with only new stickers lobbed on each year so even an older and cheaper bike would / could do.

At 11 years old (and smaller) he's potentially ok on an Oset 24 for a year or so .
The nice thing with the Oset is they are more plentiful, much much lighter and easier to start trials on and use for a year or so.

As mentioned above the move to petrol bike will be one of the hardest and most painful experiences of your life ? - I'd also say the '3 months' remark is generous and allow for a good 6 months plus of learning before they're properly comfortable with weight, gears, clutch etc.
They not only have to deal with a ludicrously heavy bike (see above about no development on the Beta 80 for 12+ years) but also a clutch and a gearbox.

Some people decide to stick out an electric bike as long as possible, some decide to go petrol and take the associated pain as early as possible.

May be food for thought or I may have just made your headache worse

Spot on, you don't want to spoil them.

KIds bikes  are  a problem in Trials , there's nothing budget . This is no good for getting youngsters into the sport.

Very few "virgin" parents will take the plunge ,spend a few thousand  and see how it goes, normally it's people who have ridden previously that get there kids involved.

The answer would be some budget trials style bike under £1000 like you can by a pit bike for,

I know this doesn't help but I've every sympathy with aevans.

• Like 1