2008 Refresh

mercuryrev

Currently got my 2008 Rev3 engine stripped down to replace the main bearings and after a couple of bits of advice please

I have managed to separate the cases but can't seem to get the crank out of the left hand case, are there any tricks? I have tried warming everything in an oven for 15 mins and then hitting the crank with a rubber mallet with no luck.

Secondly, I used to trailer the bike in winter and I suspect road salt has found it's way under whatever the finish is on the crankcases. Has anyone successfully repainted the cases? Researching on here I've read that the cases might be magnesium and therefore difficult to paint.....

Any advice very welcome

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

6 hours ago, burns1989 said:

Sounds very tight but the problem you have is that your heating the hole crank up . What you need to do is warm up the main bearing where the crank slips into but warm it up with a hot air gun and it will tap out easily. 

Thanks very much for replying and for the tip, I'll try that tomorrow.

?

• 3 weeks later...

Just a quick follow up on the crank removal in case anyone is as stuck as I was.

I ended up taking it to a local bike mechanic who used a hot air gun to warm the cases and then he tapped the crank out.

Firstly he supported the cases leaving about 20mm clearance between the opposite end of the crank. He started heating the case, taking care not to heat the crank itself. He then squirted some oil on the case and then carried on heating. I asked him why and he explained that when the oil thinned right down he knew it was hot enough. Sure enough as the oil all but turned to the consistency of water, he tapped the crank and it started moving. A little more heat and a few more taps and it was out. 

• Like 2