mercuryrev

2008 Refresh

Currently got my 2008 Rev3 engine stripped down to replace the main bearings and after a couple of bits of advice please

I have managed to separate the cases but can't seem to get the crank out of the left hand case, are there any tricks? I have tried warming everything in an oven for 15 mins and then hitting the crank with a rubber mallet with no luck.

Secondly, I used to trailer the bike in winter and I suspect road salt has found it's way under whatever the finish is on the crankcases. Has anyone successfully repainted the cases? Researching on here I've read that the cases might be magnesium and therefore difficult to paint.....

Any advice very welcome

Thanks

Are these stupid questions that I should know?

More than 300 views and no comments, makes you feel insecure, you know....... 😉

Sounds very tight but the problem you have is that your heating the hole crank up . What you need to do is warm up the main bearing where the crank slips into but warm it up with a hot air gun and it will tap out easily. 

6 hours ago, burns1989 said:

Sounds very tight but the problem you have is that your heating the hole crank up . What you need to do is warm up the main bearing where the crank slips into but warm it up with a hot air gun and it will tap out easily. 

Thanks very much for replying and for the tip, I'll try that tomorrow.

😉

I pulled the case off it without heat. I completed my full rebuild about 2 months back on the 270 engine.

Screenshot_20191125-182746.png