Knee replacement surgery, anybody?

charlie chitlins

Both knees replace, not at the same time, several years ago. Riding the best I have in a long time at 77. Work hard on your physical therapy and you will be back to riding within a few months. It took me a long time to convince my doctor that trials did not have a lot of jumping and that the effort on the knees was a lot like mountain biking. After that he said I could ride.

My right tibia (lower leg) is held together by a titanium rod, to fit it my knee had to be apart.  I lost a lot of sideways flexibility (can't really stick my knee out and move the bike under it) which does affect my riding a bit, but the killer is heavy kickstarting - I start the Cota off the bike with my left leg instead (the TY is super easy to kick, so no worries there).

I wouldn't be able to do big jumps, but I do ok with classic trials type riding, which is what I prefer anyway :)  It took about 2 years for things to fully settle in with it, but I was riding road bikes within 3 months and gentle off road after about 6 months.  Lots of physio and cycling on a mountain bike (with fat tyres and decent front suspension) really really helped, too.

Good luck!

• Like 1