Suspension

hannon

Does anyone really know how much suspension tuning top riders are doing?  I see some riders post that they are using aftermarket "factory" tech forks, but what is the different.

It just seems interesting to me that in any other form of motorcycle riding, suspension is so important they are testing constantly, but yet no one is offering to valve, or spring (and as far as springs you can find stiffer than stock but not softer), trials bike suspension aftermarket; at least in the US there is 1 person I know of willing to work with the rear shock, but no one for the front forks.

If anyone as had the chance to ride any off-road "big" bikes before and after having the suspension set up by someone who knows what they are doing, can appreciate the huge different in comfort and performance.

• Like 1

The top riders definitely have there suspension tuning done, however the question is at what level.  If you dig aground a bit you should be able to find some decent information on this. 

Might look into TURN Racing? Nice shot of Toni in their gallery: http://www.trunracing.it/index.php?option=com_sppagebuilder&view=page&id=12&Itemid=518&lang=en 

Edited by jonnyc21

I think the problem is Trials throws up too many variations. what's perfect on a big step will be a disaster on loose going so at best  you'll have to compromise.

What I would say is you have to get used to how your suspension works,I think you'll end up with something you like but It'll be a personal thing.

As an old guy I prefer it very plush so I don't feel the small stuff,but you run through the travel quick on bigger stuff.

Anyway nothing to stop you trying to better it. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2019 at 11:56 AM, hannon said:

Does anyone really know how much suspension tuning top riders are doing?  I see some riders post that they are using aftermarket "factory" tech forks, but what is the different.

It just seems interesting to me that in any other form of motorcycle riding, suspension is so important they are testing constantly, but yet no one is offering to valve, or spring (and as far as springs you can find stiffer than stock but not softer), trials bike suspension aftermarket; at least in the US there is 1 person I know of willing to work with the rear shock, but no one for the front forks.

If anyone as had the chance to ride any off-road "big" bikes before and after having the suspension set up by someone who knows what they are doing, can appreciate the huge different in comfort and performance.

I am a total suspension geek.Started revalving my own shocks back around 95.Even my Africa twin adv bike has some pretty tricked out suspension including experimental ceramic coated fork tubes.My GG300 I left pretty much stock except for the heaviest spring rieger makes(recommended by my chart in manual).I had Jack's trials shop rebuild the shock that last owner messed up.Shock requires some special tools and Jack's is only u.s certified shop with them.After much research I found people like 35% rider sag.My bike steers much better of course with proper spring and it works better everywhere. The stock valving leaves plenty of adjustment on clickers.I Find these bikes are not near as critical as other dirt sports because they are made for a very specific low speed environment.A decent rider can make them do crazy stuff even with a totally blown out shock.I went with the heavier spring because I was bottoming out so easy and afraid of breaking a frame or destroying a very expensive shock.