Beta mystery vibration

jsyben94

I’ve got a 2019, 300 and over the past few weekends of riding have been noticing a strange noise coming from the bike. 

At first it was barely noticeable but it’s gradually got worse, I’ve done a complete bolt check and everything is tight and it doesn't seem to be internal within the engine.

As the sound has got worse the bike has started to vibrate quite badly especially when revved (frustratingly it’s not clear where it’s coming from), I’ve had a look at a few other forums and I’m wondering if it could be the baffle inside the exhaust.

Any help of experience much appreciated. 

Edited by jsyben94
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, jsyben94 said:

it’s definitely not intensely within the engine

Not quite sure what that phrase means but...

You might want to pull the primary drive and have a look to see if something is interfering with the clutch basket. Typically a loose muffler core won’r make the bike vibrate.

7 minutes ago, dan williams said:

Not quite sure what that phrase means but...

You might want to pull the primary drive and have a look to see if something is interfering with the clutch basket. Typically a loose muffler core won’r make the bike vibrate.

Thank's Dan, i've edited it and will take a look (Y).

A long shot I realise, but worth checking the sump bolts again. I had a similar problem and had nipped up the two rear countersunk screws by the footpads thinking they were tight. At a trial I parked my bike on a rock and noticed it was quieter when I started the engine whilst resting on the sump. Moved off the rock and the vibration noise came back.

Once I had stripped and cleaned all the sump bolts and reassembled the bike was quiet again. I assume I had some grit under one of the bolts / sump plate that still allowed the sump plate to vibrate.

As I say, very much a long shot, but worth a second check by removing and cleaning the countersunk screws and under the sump plate.

• Thanks 1

The noise you describe is in line with a main bearing failure, however the age of the bike would suggest not. Has the bike been drowned and not fully cleaned out at all? You have checked all bolts, s/arm, head steady, sump plate as mentioned before. Other things causing vibration and noise are the ignition flywheel, which if loose would very soon have sheared the woodruff key, also on the other side of the crankshaft is another flywheel weight, pretty sure on the Beta they are a taper fit so if this was loose then there would be no drive to the clutch. Does sound like a main bearing failure. Bye, Peter B.