Mid-life 29

Moomoo

Want to have another go at trialing, nothing too adventurous, after fifty years absence.

Going to organise a one to one session at Blackshaw Moors before I buy anything.

Trying to amass as much info as poss before the leap!

I have attended some local meets in Derbyshire and Staffordshire  and met some grand, helpful folks.

Andrew.

• Like 1

50 years! I thought I might have a record at 47 (and 44 years not throwing my leg over a bike of any sort). If you’re passably fit, the old bones will have no probs at all. And your wallet should barely notice: £1000-3000 for your bike. £15 entry fees. 5 litres of fuel lasts 3 or 4 trials. For sure, try before you buy, but if you decide not to go ahead after your taster session, I will have serious doubts over your sanity?. Trials is not just the most fun you can have with your trousers on, it’s also the most cost-effective.

Edited by trapezeartist

55 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

50 years! I thought I might have a record at 47 (and 44 years not throwing my leg over a bike of any sort). If you’re passably fit, the old bones will have no probs at all. And your wallet should barely notice: £1000-3000 for your bike. £15 entry fees. 5 litres of fuel lasts 3 or 4 trials. For sure, try before you buy, but if you decide not to go ahead after your taster session, I will have serious doubts cover your sanity?. Trials is not just the most fun you can have with your trousers on, it’s also the most cost-effective.

I hope you're right bud, I have to admit I have only got to be on a bike of any sort and I am itching to stand on the pegs and take to the scenery. I suppose it's the childhood roots of getting 3 or 4 quids worth of Francis Barnet in the school holidays and ragging the **** out of it in the woods and fields and 5/- for a day at the local scramble - trials track.:stupid:

Ah ! Nostalgia! 

• 2 weeks later...

Thouroughly enjoyed the training day at Leek. Stu , the owner of the venue could not be bettered as a patient, trials teacher. Everything about the day was valuable. My shortcomings were tolerated and worked on but it made my lack of fitness was going to be a problem.

This great experience did raise as many questions as it answered. The process continues. Still no yay or nay. Not given up yet!?

• Like 1

10 hours ago, trapezeartist said:

Riding will enhance your fitness, so it’s a self-curing problem. And as you get better you’ll find that staying on the pegs is a lot less effort than falling off, lifting and pushing.

Thanks for the support, what you say makes sense. I'm doing some weights and am feeling the benefit. I have to take my time, I have an immature tendency to want every thing yesterday.:stupid:

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm sure you're right chief! It was the muscles in my shoulder and neck area that protested with having weight on my arms for longer than I'm used to. Doing a few weights and stuff and already feeling the benefit. 

Hopeflly closer to a purchase now, I've narrowed my bike choices a bit ,so we'll see how we go.

Thanks for your reply.:)