Bending back Braktec levers??

Mountainbrad

I love the feel of the stock Braktec levers found on TRS bikes through 2016 to 2019. (I haven't seen the 20's)

However they seem fairly delicate in terms maintaining their original shape.  After a couple of months of hard riding, crashing, and bashing, they get bent around pretty bad.  I've seen them fully "C" shaped. Replacements are very expensive here in Canada. 

Anyone with hints on how to bend them back? or preventative tips?

Much appreciated

I am wondering if you have your levers mounted in the wrong position.  Try loosening them on the handlebar clamps then move them inwards towards the steering head, until the tips of the levers are at least 1.5 inches in from the end of the handle bars.

However, the best solution is not to fall off in the first place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motovita said:

Sorry I don't have any advice for straightening levers, but on a related note, is there a shorty lever option for the TRS front brake? That might contribute to fewer bent levers.

Sadly, not yet. There is a dimensional difference between these Braktec levers on the TRS & generic levers that are "supposed" to fit.

I have Apico shorty levers from my Beta I tried on my TRS. They fit but there is a few MMs difference (+) from pivot to push pin & I didn't want to risk it.

I slid my masters in as far as they would go & it gives about an inch of clearance from end of levers to end of bars.

• 2 weeks later...

3 hours ago, baldilocks said:

AJP levers will fit, they made shorter levers as fitted to early shercos and a mid length version. Splatshop might have them on their website.

Apparently the TRS lever has a different leverage ratio (push pin is a different distance away from pivot bolt hole) than other levers so you will be changing the feel and power of the brake if you use a non TRS lever.

9 hours ago, baldilocks said:

AJP levers will fit, they made shorter levers as fitted to early shercos and a mid length version. Splatshop might have them on their website.

I tried an AJP lever and it did function but it didn't feel as smooth when operated. My biggest concern is that the misalignment puts a sideways load on the master cylinder piston which might cause some wear and/or sticking.

I don't have a spare Braktec lever so I'm carrying an AJP lever as a spare.

Edited by motovita

I fived a section yesterday when I foolishly ran my right grip through a bush in a tight turn. The bush grabbed, and applied, my front brake lever and stopped me cold. I may considering cutting one down if nobody comes out with a shorty lever.