WAHOO-pic of my bultaco

Goodo

Thanks again woody.yea the Haynes manual I have ,think the trouble is here,is that I’m thinking it’s a bike for the uk.could not be the case.

im looking for a glasses motorcycle check book atm for that year. Still waiting for in motion getting back to me,also looked at the VMCC and will buzz them.

I'm not sure what information it is you're looking for now?  Glass's guide won't give you anything you don't have already. If it is a 150 which I'm assuming it is from your picture, but you haven't confirmed, then that's all you need for dating it. The other possibility is the previous model, a model 124 but I think 150. It's just that at some point someone has fitted a later tank, probably because the original got smashed or perished - not unusual for a 40 year old trials bike to get altered.

Whether it was a UK bike originally doesn't matter, a model 150 is a model 150 and they are all the same wherever the factory sent them, it's just that the UK importer swapped the tank unit for the alloy one due to UK law prohibiting the use of fibreglass tanks on the road. All Spanish trials bikes from '73 on had alloy tanks fitted in the UK. You see the bracket on the frame upright going up to the top of the rear shock? That's where the original tank/seat unit fastens, there's another on the other side. On the top tube at the front of the tank there should be a threaded stud that secures the front of the original tank which is either hidden underneath the tank or has been cut off to accomodate the later tank

VMCC won't date a bike for you unless you become a member

If you're going to try and re-register it on an age related plate you may have an issue with DVLA as they will probably want a picture of the bike from both sides and maybe to inspect it and if they are on the ball and realise that it has a later tank fitted they could deem it modified and who knows where that could go with DVLA

• Like 1

Yea woods I’d like to have it registered with the correct year of manufacture.yes it’s a 150 model,apparently the dvla are not interested in tank etc,just frame,wheels etc.

i Havnt a clue yet at to weather or not it was originally for export to uk,hence the tank carry on.coz if it wasn’t for export then wouldn’t of have a uk spec tank.

I’m with woody on this one..... it doesn’t matter if it was for uk export or not.  When it arrived in the uk in 74 or whenever it was, it had a one piece tank and seat unit on it.   Before the importer shipped the bike to the dealer the original fibreglass tank /seat / side-panel unit was removed from the bike in the crate and the homerlite metal tank unit installed.  At some point since then someone put a M199A tank on it.  Probably because it was available and fit somewhat well.  As to the actual year of manufacture..... that’s not how Bultaco worked .  They didn’t make their bikes by year.   But rather by model number.  But it is fair to say that a model 150 was available in 74-75.  And your dmv or whatever licensing agency in the uk needs to give it a year for registration sake.  But to call it a 1974 250 Sherpa t isn’t quite accurate.  I’d bet the model 124 and 125 Sherpa t were also available new in 74 and it’s a very similar but different bike.  

Best thing to do is get yourself a parts manual and service manual. These two pieces of literature will help you with everything you need to know about what the bike looked like.   What parts were used and how to repair when the time comes 

good luck 

steve 

Edited by stevem75
  • Like 1

Yea,thanks for that. It’s either 74 or 75.thats all I’m ttying to find out.along with was it ment for export to uk or not.

been on a few sites and tbh it’s not my 1st rodeo (so to speak) with old bikes as in finding out info. I understand that bultaco go by model and not year,however not much Good that to dvla lol.

Thanks for the reply ,taking on bored all the advice and info from everyone from everywhere.

cheers

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/8/2019 at 9:28 AM, Goodo said:

Yea,thanks for that. It’s either 74 or 75.thats all I’m ttying to find out.along with was it ment for export to uk or not.

been on a few sites and tbh it’s not my 1st rodeo (so to speak) with old bikes as in finding out info. I understand that bultaco go by model and not year,however not much Good that to dvla lol.

Thanks for the reply ,taking on bored all the advice and info from everyone from everywhere.

cheers

I would say at least 80%of Sherpas were exported  , most came to the uk , keep on at in motion to date it but probably all they will say is manufactured 74/75