4rt shock oil weight?

brianjonesphoto

Since it the only month our trials club takes off I’m diving into some much delayed maintenance. I pulled the rear end apart and serviced the linkage and swing arm bearings they are in good shape for being ignored for 3 years and don’t need replacing for now. 

I  going to have my Showa shock serviced my a local suspension tuner with lots of dirt bike experience but this is his first trials shock. Upon external examination he is pretty confident it won’t be too different from a Showa dirtbike shock. I’m only having him service the shock with new seals and oil. It’s 15 years old and likely has never been serviced. 

One thing I cannot find a spec for is oil weight. He assumed it was either 5 or 10 and the rebound circuit should be a big clue. I’m assuming it’s either 5 or 2.5 as it’s a trials bike and needs to stay bouncy. 

Thanks

On 12/7/2019 at 2:48 PM, brianjonesphoto said:

... I’m assuming it’s either 5 or 2.5 as it’s a trials bike and needs to stay bouncy. 

Banyeres Trials Parts services Showa trials shocks and sells Showa trials shock parts. The Banyeres website lists Showa SS25 as the official rear suspension oil.

It's 2.5W. But 2.5W rated oils can vary a fair amount. There are comparison tables online. Honda sells an SS-25 rear suspension oil under the Pro Honda name that may be the same stuff.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sportsawyer said:

Banyeres Trials Parts services Showa trials shocks and sells Showa trials shock parts. The Banyeres website lists Showa SS25 as the official rear suspension oil.

It's 2.5W. But 2.5W rated oils can vary a fair amount. There are comparison tables online. Honda sells an SS-25 rear suspension oil under the Pro Honda name that may be the same stuff.

I believe the Pro Honda SS-25 is the same fluid as the Showa-branded SS25.  :thumbup: