Montesa 4RT service interval?

4RT.TRIAL.NI

Hi Folks,

Relatively new to the trials scene, bought a 1 year old Montesa 4RT 260 Cota 2018.

Intrested to know people's service intervals. I know the manual recommends oil change every 15 hours but the guy in the shop recommended every 4/5 hours?? How often would you change the oil/filter and transmission oil? 

Any other important maintenance tips? any gaskets or 'O' rings?

Kind regards,

Five hours seems far too soon for normal use.  I change oil every six trials (but sometimes stretch that depending on the events) per the manual but feel that could be extended as the oil seems fairly fresh. I wonder how many people change the oil during the SSDT?  I do the filter every second change and it tends to come out fairly clean. 

The filter has a lot of life in it in terms of volume of oil it can cope with over time as the same item is used in various machines including the Polaris Ace where the change interval is 100 hours or 1000 miles.

It's worth bearing in mind that you are only draining 75% of the engine oil (450 of the 600cc capacity) which leaves quite a high proportion of "dirty" oil in the motor.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 3

Have a search though past posts as there have been lots of good advice posted.

Ie

Lay bike on its side to do filter after draining oil

The oil filter will come out despite what you think, the new one fits easy  -put some grease on the spring. - Makes sure the oil filter retaining spigot is seated 100% square or flywheel cover wont go back on the dowels. 

grease the gasket and will last numerous changes without needing to be replaced

Put the oil back in before putting casing back on.

Valve clearances hardly ever need adjusting.

Clean Throttle body every 12 months - remove and wipe and clean out idle drilling.

The rest pretty much std

Edited by jimmyl
  • Like 3

Defiantly no need to change it more often than every 15 hours. 

I go by the book on the engine oil and it always comes out looking better than my car's oil on a change and I change the transmission oil every 30 hours (With the ELF oil) and it always looks great when I do and it performs fantastic.  If I was competing at a higher level and riding a lot more I would go every 15 but with the performance I am getting it doesn't seem to be an issue at all.  

• Like 2

On 12/12/2019 at 2:06 PM, jimmyl said:

Have a search though past posts as there have been lots of good advice posted.

Ie

Lay bike on its side to do filter after draining oil

The oil filter will come out despite what you think, the new one fits easy  -put some grease on the spring. - Makes sure the oil filter retaining spigot is seated 100% square or flywheel cover wont go back on the dowels. 

grease the gasket and will last numerous changes without needing to be replaced

Put the oil back in before putting casing back on.

Valve clearances hardly ever need adjusting.

Clean Throttle body every 12 months - remove and wipe and clean out idle drilling.

The rest pretty much std

What kind of grease do you use thanks