New boots Recommendations

Spanky

In the process of changing my old boots. Anybody have any advice/ preferences?

Currently thinking about alpinestars  or gearne (probably the gor-tex).

Would love to hear peoples views before I purchase what is one of the most expensive bits of kit to buy. ?

My son and I both have Sidi boots.. probably about 2yrs old now... no issues other then I found that mine leaked water through the front rivet just behind the toe... I managed to get a dolly into the boot and tap it a bit tighter... after that they have been fine. Buckles and straps haven’t broken. These were ‘flat’ soles rather than the curved ones...

1 hour ago, thall1 said:

My son and I both have Sidi boots.. probably about 2yrs old now... no issues other then I found that mine leaked water through the front rivet just behind the toe... I managed to get a dolly into the boot and tap it a bit tighter... after that they have been fine. Buckles and straps haven’t broken. These were ‘flat’ soles rather than the curved ones...

Sisi's have also been mentioned for me to consider

1 hour ago, heffergm said:

Alpinestars and Gaerne are at opposite ends of the spectrum. The latter feel like slippers and offer similar protection. The A* are a ton firmer. 

Thats kinda what I was told yesterday. Only that alpinestars offer much better protection than the gearnes.

Sidis are a great boot, but mine like others, the sole has started to come away at the toe after 2 years. Gaernes IMO aren't worth the money, no protection and the build quality isn't what it used to be

Edited by faussy

don't waste money on Gortex gaerne.

I am on second pair and both started leaking after a couple of months. thought the first pair leaking was a bit unlucky but not both!

just bought a standard pair and some sealskins

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, davy1 said:

don't waste money on Gortex gaerne.

I am on second pair and both started leaking after a couple of months. thought the first pair leaking was a bit unlucky but not both!

just bought a standard pair and some sealskins

That's good to know, thanks ?. Already have sealskins ?

Sidis are the best but fit skinny feet, Gaernes are the most comfortable but have very limited protection and are no longer as good as they used to be 15 years ago. I have some Wulfsports that are a good compromise between price and protection. Main thing is to try them on first, as they all fit differently.  Unfortunately trials boots take a beating on the steel pegs and the soles usually get worn thru way before the rest of the boot gets worn out.

• Like 2

Our Sidis were half or maybe a size bigger to allow for thicker socks or sealskins. 
it’s a case of just going to try a few different pairs on with your riding socks and go for a walk around the store to try and find the best in comfort... you’ll probably find there is someone who has had a good/bad experience with all makes..

We use ‘gold label dubbin’ after most rides. It got the same consistency as vasaline... We put it on quite heavy and leave to soak in during the week..we put plenty on the stitching to stop it drying out and shrinking back slightly and letting water in.. keeps the boots nice and soft and helps protect and areas that have been scagged/worn. 

• Like 1

Forma are good,but not waterproof but neither are any of the others when in streams a lot.Hebo offer more protection but feel through the footrests isn't as good .I have both brands and wear the Hebos when it's really wet and muddy,they offer more protection when wet.Id buy either again 

4 hours ago, Spanky said:

Thats kinda what I was told yesterday. Only that alpinestars offer much better protection than the gearnes.

One of my friends broke his foot this year when he caught it on a rock wearing gaernes. This led to a review of current boots, gaerne, styl martin and the hebo with the wire fastening system don't have any toe protection.

Forma, new style hebo, alpinestars, mots and I think sidi have toe protection built in. Forma and sidi offer little ankle support.

Protection wise you can't beat the alpinestars. Some find them too stiff but it doesn't bother me. Only snag is the alpinestars look shabby after 3 trials and they are probably the most expensive

Edited by baldilocks