New boots Recommendations

Spanky

You learn something new every day!... just assumed they were leather but I never checked TBH. .. apparently Alpinestsrs and others use the same ... 

dubbin seems to make the softer... certainly adds a shine and the water runs off and mud doesn’t stick as well so I guess it can’t do any harm

18 hours ago, baldilocks said:

One of my friends broke his foot this year when he caught it on a rock wearing gaernes. This led to a review of current boots, gaerne, styl martin and the hebo with the wire fastening system don't have any toe protection.

Forma, new style hebo, alpinestars, mots and I think sidi have toe protection built in. Forma and sidi offer little ankle support.

Protection wise you can't beat the alpinestars. Some find them too stiff but it doesn't bother me. Only snag is the alpinestars look shabby after 3 trials and they are probably the most expensive

Gaerne trials boots are lacking protection, but most foot injuries on a trials bike happens while being seated. Standing on the pegs is way safer. Ask me how I know.

For my average size 9s Alpinestars are a fantastic fit more like a glove, much better than the decent (non wire) Hebos I wore before. But you may need to buy the accessory boot strap kit to get them the right length to go over the lower foot. 

Stiffer yes, but great protection and the tread is perfect for clambering about in. More expensive than most, but cheaper than a new foot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lineaway said:

Gaerne trials boots are lacking protection, but most foot injuries on a trials bike happens while being seated. Standing on the pegs is way safer. Ask me how I know.

He was standing up , the bone split the top of his foot and the  claret was squirting out, not a good day

Yep, my boss took his son`s to South Africa for a motorcycle tour on Yamaha 660`s. Somewhere I still have the video of the eldest son adjusting his go pro helmet cam at about 60 mph. He missed a corner and smashed his right foot into a boulder. His Gaerne`s did little help. Very expensive trip, with the medi-vac and the bike was totaled.

Myself I continue to sit down and smash my toes at least a few times a year. My Gortex Garne`s left Italy this morning.LOL. 

It's a pity that Dunlop don't make the proper old style trials wellys anymore, thick rubber with good penetration protection,steel midsole and toe-cap and 100% waterproof ! What more could you ask for? (Bit cold though in winter ? )

2 hours ago, lsv said:

It's a pity that Dunlop don't make the proper old style trials wellys anymore, thick rubber with good penetration protection,steel midsole and toe-cap and 100% waterproof ! What more could you ask for? (Bit cold though in winter ? )

0% lower leg protection, 1st hand (shin) experience.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Gone through a bunch in the last 4 years..... Started with Gaerne Balance Oiled. They were far too slipper like, with no shank in the sole.  Next I tried  Alpinestars Tech T . Good stiff sole with steel shank, but soles are hard and slippery walking sections. Lots of padding and double toe cover.  Also a little short in height, and seemed to catch the tops more often.  I wore the soles out, but still use them for street bike riding. Onto Forma Boulders next. I liked that they were a bit taller, and a reinforced toe box. More flexible, but less padding. Soles are a little better traction wise, but the S3 Hard Rock footpegs, that are stock on my Scorpa Factory are hard on the soles. I'm going to get them resoled, and keep them for spares. I've just got a pair of Stylmartin Impact Pro now. Microfiber, not leather, so stiffer all around. I'll have to see how the toe breaks in, as it is single layer, and doesn't seem to be reinforced.  More padding like the Tech T though.   I think I'll like them.

• Like 1

On 12/14/2019 at 4:35 PM, carlos said:

Sidis are the best but fit skinny feet, Gaernes are the most comfortable but have very limited protection and are no longer as good as they used to be 15 years ago. I have some Wulfsports that are a good compromise between price and protection. Main thing is to try them on first, as they all fit differently.  Unfortunately trials boots take a beating on the steel pegs and the soles usually get worn thru way before the rest of the boot gets worn out.

I have a pair of Wulfsport and a pair of Gaerne oiled, both about 6 years old.  The Wulfs are heavier, stiffer and offer much more protection.  They also were very, very uncomfortable for the first few months.  The Gaernes were comfortable from day one.  However, the leather is softer and more supple and when wet become softer still.  This means that the FOOT area doesn't offer very good protection.  In contrast, the Wulfs are stiff even when soaked through.  

I still wear both boots, alternately and a year ago bought a new pair of Gaerne Black.  However these are very tight and I have yet to wear them to a trial

• 3 weeks later...

Iv got the gaerne gortex  very comfy soft boot  you could probably go walking in them I noticed straight away you can feel the gear leaver on the top of your foot when changing gear  if this boot had extra patches on inside ankle and over the toes I’d say perfect boot  I would recommend them  but if you get a whack on the foot I doubt they would protect enough 

• Like 1

Have used the gearne gortex last 2 summers. As said they don't offer much protection.I really want a insole shank also.Next boots will be AS.The gearne are my 1st trial boot and I wish I would have asked about them like you did.I just figured the bomb because a lot of the trials riders I 1st road with had them.Live and learn but a expensive lesson. 

• Like 1

I think the thing to take away is that everyone commenting hasnt had 4 or 5 makes in the last two years to compare and have a very subjective view. 5 years ago i had gaernes, they were great but laterly i had wear issues, now im on styl martins, didnt get on that well with hebo or alpine stars.

As above fit and size is everything, try before you buy and ask different riders on different boots, and youll get a different answer.

Edited by nigel dabster
  • Like 5

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/15/2019 at 3:53 PM, nhuskys said:

Gone through a bunch in the last 4 years..... Started with Gaerne Balance Oiled. They were far too slipper like, with no shank in the sole.  Next I tried  Alpinestars Tech T . Good stiff sole with steel shank, but soles are hard and slippery walking sections. Lots of padding and double toe cover.  Also a little short in height, and seemed to catch the tops more often.  I wore the soles out, but still use them for street bike riding. Onto Forma Boulders next. I liked that they were a bit taller, and a reinforced toe box. More flexible, but less padding. Soles are a little better traction wise, but the S3 Hard Rock footpegs, that are stock on my Scorpa Factory are hard on the soles. I'm going to get them resoled, and keep them for spares. I've just got a pair of Stylmartin Impact Pro now. Microfiber, not leather, so stiffer all around. I'll have to see how the toe breaks in, as it is single layer, and doesn't seem to be reinforced.  More padding like the Tech T though.   I think I'll like them.

Noob trials rider here...

How r the stylmartins for fit?  I have a very wide forefoot and low volume ankle with average calf size.  I can't wear most trainers because my forefoot is so wide.