4 stroke to 2 stroke

Robert n

Yes I had a 2016 4rt then went back to a 300 Gasgas ??‍♂️ Fortunately this was only a temporary lapse in judgment and I am back on a 300rr Montesa and life is so much sweeter! Won’t be going back, only 2 stoke I’ll be running is my garden strimmer! ?

Edited by duggan
  • Like 4
  • Confused 1

36 minutes ago, duggan said:

Yes I had a 2016 4rt then went back to a 300 Gasgas ??‍♂️ Fortunately this was only a temporary lapse in judgment and I am back on a 300rr Montesa and life is so much sweeter! Won’t be going back, only 2 stoke I’ll be running is my garden strimmer! ?

Strimmer will be good for ‘cleaning sections’ ? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Bought a gg250 after 4rt 250, then 4rt 260

brilliant bike when i got it right! Just couldn't get it consistently right.

nearly gave up my favourite pastime, then went back to mont (300rr) now i finish with big smile on face (and always finish)

may not be be most competitive bike out there but certainly one of the most enjoyable 

not trying 2 stroke again!!

• Like 3

We have more people in our club that have gone back to 2 strokes after owning a 4RT. And a few that went to a Beta 4T. And only one that had a 4RT Repsol, then four Beta 4T`s and now rides a 300RR. Everyone wants to own a Honda in theory, but not everyone can ride one!  I guess I am waiting for the 351RR.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, johnnyboxer said:

2 strokes win more Club & National UK  Trials, simple as that

Forget Bou, he's in a different league.................don't see many 4T's winning in UK

Sure most of the guys at the sharp end in Uk will be either sponsored bikes or well supported by local their local dealers, regardless of brand most riders won’t turn down a free or cheap bike.

Seeing at there’s so many different 2 strokes brands all with supported riders, yes of course there’s going to be less 4 strokes at the top level, it’s nothing to do with the limitations of the bike. Look at trial 2, the Montesa’s have dominated. 

Edited by duggan
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, duggan said:

Sure most of the guys at the sharp end in Uk will be either sponsored bikes or well supported by local their local dealers, regardless of brand most riders won’t turn down a free or cheap bike.

Seeing at there’s so many different 2 strokes brands all with supported riders, yes of course there’s going to be less 4 strokes at the top level, it’s nothing to do with the limitations of the bike. Look at trial 2, the Montesa’s have dominated. 

.............and their local dealers sell 4T's too, so they can ride them if they wanted

Only top rider in UK on a 4T (a Beta) is Ben Hemingway

Toby Martyn did well on the 4RT, but has had the last two seasons on a 2T

Watching the Scott, the 4 strokes seem to make harder work of the sections, than the lads on the 2 strokes, for the same given ability..............just an observation

If 4T was better the other Trials manufacturers would have launched a 4T in the last 10 years, but they haven't

Only Beta and Honda

At the end of the day we all have our own preferences, likes and dislikes. I personally think the bottom end grunt of a 4 stroke makes it perfect for trials. 

I suspect the main reason other manufacturers haven’t continued to develop 4t engines is just more likely down time and money. 

• Like 3

This debate could (and will) run and run, as @duggan says it's down to personal preference. As for myself I had years on 2 strokes, but simply had to scratch the 4 stroke itch so got myslef a repsol 4rt, I have to say it was the most fun I'd ever had on a trials bike, the problem for me was I simply wasn't as competitive as I was on the 2 stroke, like @davy1 I couldn't get it consistenty right, I found it unpredictable sometimes, so despite the fun it was frustrating when I'd clean a section 3 times then 5 it on the last lap after losing grip and couldn't work out why. If money was no object I would have both in the garage but as it's not I went back to a beta 2 stroke and was immediately more competitive. Had this dicussion with a few riders after a trial on Sunday and one of them even said to me 'I wish you'd go back to a 4 stroke again as I could get closer to you when you were on that!' Summed it up for me really.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, johnnyboxer said:

.............and their local dealers sell 4T's too, so they can ride them if they wanted

Only top rider in UK on a 4T (a Beta) is Ben Hemingway

Toby Martyn did well on the 4RT, but has had the last two seasons on a 2T

Watching the Scott, the 4 strokes seem to make harder work of the sections, than the lads on the 2 strokes, for the same given ability..............just an observation

If 4T was better the other Trials manufacturers would have launched a 4T in the last 10 years, but they haven't

Only Beta and Honda

You’re forgetting billy green who is 5th in British championship and Sam haslam has just gone to Honda (John lee) 

Started on a 2T, went to a Montesa 4RT 250 and now have a Montesa 300RR.  I ride my daughters 2T from time to time and just like the 4T better.  I can't say I am better on one or the other but as I like the 4T better I will stick with it.  

Good luck with your choice.  

• Like 1

Interesting what you all thinking iv gone from old sherco to 300rr  it seems alot different to ride little sections id say its better but for doing tricks for fun im finding it really hard to move around  so was thinking should i go back to sherco or keep practicing  

32 minutes ago, Robert n said:

Interesting what you all thinking iv gone from old sherco to 300rr  it seems alot different to ride little sections id say its better but for doing tricks for fun im finding it really hard to move around  so was thinking should i go back to sherco or keep practicing  

Keep practicing ??

• Like 2