Clutched Trials for Kids?

OrDieTrial'n

Hello all.  Long time listener, first time caller.  Great place you have here.

Have been going crazy looking to upgrade my 8 year old from a clutchless 50cc Beta Minitrial to something with a clutch and more than two gears... but not an adult sized bike.  Any ideas?

I'm having trouble making heads/tails of models like "Cadet, Rookie, Boy" etc as I cannot find any real info/specs on bike/frame/tire size on the official websites.  Unfortunately I'm not in an area with a lot of trials motorcycles or I'd go out and have a look myself.

My boy is confident enough on his Minitrial, but wants to follow dad into places that little thing just can't get.  The centrifugal clutch means the bike loses traction in all but the driest conditions.  Not to mention the tires (even new) are hard as a rock and not very knobby.

50cc is still fine, he's light, and even electric would be great, as long as it has a clutch and real rubber underneath it.

Any thoughts greatly appreciated!!

I would go Beta Evo or Rev 80 small wheel as my first choice, but you really wouldn't go wrong with a TY80. 

The Beta 80 Jr (small wheels) has a 6 speed transmission and a nice strong engine.  My daughter had the Beta 80 Sr (Full size) and other than the taller suspension and bigger wheels it was the same as the Jr when I compared it to another club members Jr.  

Good luck finding something.  

Even though I'm an old guy I do ride my kids bikes and ty80s are rubbish to ride, they steer terrible and really ride much heavier than they are  and the suspension is awful.

Trust me a Beta 80 sw is no comparison on the rough stuff.

I agree they're well made and hold there value  but past there sell by date.

We bought a 12 yr old Beta 50 with cable clutch and 4 gears for playing around on, 12 months before he was due to move away from electric.   Now on a Beta 80 medium wheel and almost no set back.  Every child that I've seen go from an auto / electric to a clutch has ben set back a few months so be patient.

thanks all, really appreciate the feedback.  as much as I like the TY's I don't think they're a good match for what my kid would like to do.  There is a Beta 50 around that's getting its transmission 'redone', has a cable clutch.  Will check it out but am worried a cable pull might be too hard on the kid, tire him out.  And waiting to hear the price.

Also found an ad for a gas gas '2 gear' txt 50 with clutch.  the add reads 'high speed and low speed'.  Never seen or heard of such a thing.  It appears to be a shifter you push through the bike across the engine.  Then I guess kick it back with your brake foot?  It's a lot more expensive though.

But your responses have given me some good leads, thanks!

That "2 gear" TXT50 has a centrifugal clutch with a manual over ride. It can be used in either high or low gear but it is not designed to be changed while on the run. Released around 2000, they were well made and quite pricey. Parts are really hard to obtain. Bye, Peter B. image.png.13d2a3fd215540c783d2b9d420ce7fd4.png

My lad went from a Beta mini trial to a Rev50 4 speed and cable clutch when he was 9. Made a big difference with what he could ride. The only real "issue" was the lever span reach. He was fine pulling the lever in but he struggled to reach it once it was "out". Taught him to ride with fine throttle control though ! From that he went to an Evo 80 big wheel, then a 125. Never had a problem wit any of them.

• Like 1

There are 2 Rev 50's around, but so dang far away.  We'll have to drive out to see one.

Must be honest, in doing some digging, I'm really starting to like the new e-bikes.  Oset or Beta 20.  But I'm hung up on the no-clutch thing.  Will I be shorting my boy starting him on a newer bike with no clutch?  He (currently) really does like his kick starting, too.

Depends how much riding you do. Watching the Dad`s carrying backpacks full of batteries around is not my idea of fun. The automatics are the worst thing we had. Started with a PW50, Beta Auto, 2- TY80`s. Then a gas gas big wheel 80, Beta 250, Raga 300, Beta 300 4T and now a TRS 300 RR. He is now 22. Just started my grandsons riding. On TY 80`s. 9 and 11. The oldest one is short, so he will be on the TY for awhile. Opposite of my son, who was pushing 6 foot in Elementary school. No matter which bike you end up with, the kids don`t really start getting good till 12-13 years old. At that age you can see them improve with almost every ride.

https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-compleat-yamaha-ty80-thread.574301/

• 2 months later...