Adapt a trailie for trials?

charlie chitlins

There sure are a lot of cheap xr70s etc out there. Anybody go old school and adapt one for a beginner trialer?

It seems to me like the venerably TY80 wasn't far from a trail bike.

I'm a pretty good welder so I'm not afraid to move pegs or even change neck angle.

Just looking to give an 8-year-old a bit of a feeling of a trials bike on a budget.

It seems to me a grunty 4 stroke would be a good introduction.

Edited by charlie chitlins

So, gearing, footpeg position, rake, tyres, small seat to allow body movement, suspension travel, suspension valving, handlebar position. when i started out in 1980 our club had loaners for the little kids, a few of those were XR75's they just tore around a bumpy track mostly getting the hang of just generally riding a bike, I feel you'd spend more money modifying a bike than just buying a good used one, look for Beta minitrial or ty80's.

Certainly a problem with budget start up bikes in Trials.

Not many folk would consider spending £1000 on a bike  let alone say two three thousand for a decent Oset or Beta  to get junior started.

Lately I've wondered about pit bikes as a base as an all singing dancing one can be had out the crate for a grand, maybe someone out there has modified one.I don't mean new frames and wheels just a few bits like tyres and gearing.