Trs one rr 2018 280 engine seized

Tomsmith1992

Hi all, just looking for a bit of info/advice

Was riding my trs one rr 2018 280 today, I dropped it on its side on a muddy bank and the throttle stuck on, the kill switch didn't work to shut it off and it reved max out for about 10/15 seconds then it died. 

Didn't think anything of it just though fuel supply failed or something but when I went to kick it over the kick-start was jammed solid and engine has seized. 

Has anyone heard of this happening before? Surely the engine should last more than 15 seconds flat out? 

Any ideas what could have broken and estimates on getting it fixed at a garage? 

Thank you in advance for any info, much appreciated! 

It's seized the piston to the bore,bad luck.Will need a new piston and the cylinder replating,not sure on costs.TRS importer isn't a huge distance from you,I'd call them.What oil mixture and oil do you use?Its a good idea to use a lanyard kill switch,stops this happening 

I think you will find instances of bikes running full bore and the lanyard will not help, the engine gets so hot it self runs.

You have to resort to turning off the fuel and stuffing your gloves up the exhaust, all very stressful with an engine probably still in gear and revving it's nuts off !

1 hour ago, collyolly said:

I think you will find instances of bikes running full bore and the lanyard will not help, the engine gets so hot it self runs.

You have to resort to turning off the fuel and stuffing your gloves up the exhaust, all very stressful with an engine probably still in gear and revving it's nuts off !

Snapping the choke on can also help to stop it, if you can overcome your hands shaking with terror.

• Haha 1

Had he had a working lanyard it's a moot point... the whole idea is to stop the motor before the throttle gets buried in the ground and the bike seizes.

As has also been discovered, the magnet can pop out of the cap. Next time, run a bead of superglue around the edge of the magnet where it fits into its housing.

• Like 3

A friend with a Sherco had this exact thing happen to him, and a 2 stroke revving hard enough and high enough doesn't need a spark, it can ignite off it's own exhaust gases as they leave the cylinder and the fresh mix comes in through the transfer port, I had this happen to me with my evo, I forgot to shut off the fuel tap, it must have rattled about on the trailer and flooded the engine cases with fuel, I started it up after washing it and it ran instantly flat out! kill switch = nothing, plug cap off = nothing still going flat out, after a little bit it burnt it all up and went back to normal.

Jam the butt of your hand over the tail pipe opening. No need to take the glove off that takes to long.

On modern 2T's the end of the pipe is never that hot, even if you have only a thin glove on. Try it sometime on your bike so you get the feel of what to do, when it is not in full "Chainsaw mode".

If you are not wearing gloves, use the sole of your boot.

Stops it in a few seconds. Saved quite a few bikes with this method - it's fast, and it stops them pretty quick if you create a good seal.

Edited by arnoux
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the engine scream out of control a few times.  Even pulling the spark plug doesn't help. It was caused by the cable housing getting jammed on the outside of the throttle tube housing. Wiggle that first.

Keeping the throttle cable properly adjusted is the best preventative. 

I've also heard putting the bike in fifth gear with the rear brake on can stall the engine but I've never tried it... Keeping calm is the hardest thing!

Good idea by Arnoux to practice the tail pipe covering. I'll put it on the list with my buddies.

9 minutes ago, Mountainbrad said:

I've had the engine scream out of control a few times.  Even pulling the spark plug doesn't help. It was caused by the cable housing getting jammed on the outside of the throttle tube housing. Wiggle that first.

Keeping the throttle cable properly adjusted is the best preventative. 

I've also heard putting the bike in fifth gear with the rear brake on can stall the engine but I've never tried it... Keeping calm is the hardest thing!

Good idea by Arnoux to practice the tail pipe covering. I'll put it on the list with my buddies.

I've used the "block the end can" method a couple of times and it works perfectly. 

I lockwire the throttle cable outer to the throttle tube housing so that it is less likely to get pulled out. When the bike is idling, you can just pull the end of the cable outer from the housing and the bike revs up as if you've opened the throttle. Lockwire it in place and you can't do this. 

Runaway 2T the quickest way to get back control is to get the thing in a high gear and feed the clutch in pretty sharpish ( time wise) and ‘stall’ the engine with the back brake held on lean over the bars and hold the front down and the brake on. So what if it burns the clutch thats better than the alternative? 

• 3 weeks later...