Cheap trialling

John barnett

The reality it was a project to keep my dad busy, and to have resurrected an old rolling chassis into something rideable. 
The plan isnt to ride in Kia rounds or the like (me and my son have supported them the last 4 years on “proper” twinshocks), just maybe a few local trials (not in a specific Twinshock class) to be honest I also wanted to see if I could build a bike for £500 (ok - so I overshot a little !) and win an easy route trial against modern bikes (with my son on board - not me !!) ??

cheers

John 

I agree metisse, but then we're back to how many and what mods put you in the "special" class. Cut frames, steering head mods, laid over shocks, removed bottom cradle rails....I feel a headache coming on

Initially perhaps set it up to get all those excluded bikes back out being seen and ridden

Personally, I admire both, carefully restored/maintained originals, and the creativity of the specials. 

John, well done, your workmanship looks great, If we didn't know better it looks like a production bike with a different silencer.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, still trying said:

I agree metisse, but then we're back to how many and what mods put you in the "special" class. Cut frames, steering head mods, laid over shocks, removed bottom cradle rails....I feel a headache coming on

Initially perhaps set it up to get all those excluded bikes back out being seen and ridden

Personally, I admire both, carefully restored/maintained originals, and the creativity of the specials. 

John, well done, your workmanship looks great, If we didn't know better it looks like a production bike with a different silencer.

Thanks for that !

good praise that it looks like a production bike - just need the right trial to try it out ! ??

On 1/7/2020 at 3:56 AM, still trying said:

John, well done, your workmanship looks great, If we didn't know better it looks like a production bike with a edifferent silencer.

Its an interesting subject re Specials. We have seen Pre 65's go from the Classic's intended in the ninties and before , evolving and evolving, all on the somewhat rose tinted assumptions " It could have been done in the day " , to now most are super engineered, super competitive , dont look in many cases classic, all because its been allowed to dtrift this way.  Riders would almost give their left bollock to win the most prestigous classic trials, whilst riders who support classic trials on the real  classic machines dont waste a stamp anymore, one because the events have become far too hard. 

Twinshocks are going the same way, and the amount of posts on vairous sites showing bikes with aircooled mono forks, engines tubless tyres the list goes on  and the apparent apathy towards this shows that twinshocks will go the same way as Pre 65.. given time. 

The only way to stop this is to have some hard and fast rules about what is accepetable and whats not...In Spain, they have in my opinion the best trials and the best rules.. your bike is vetted and if it conforms to how it should be then you can ride in the appropriate class. A friend of mind cut the bottom rails off his 1973/4 Bultaco, so now he has to ride pre 80 no if's no buts.  Its a can or worms on what should be allowed and what consitutes a mod to far... something that needs discussing in a sensible way.

These pit bike engine machines reared their head a few years back I remember, and now I know several other people looking to build one.. great,  no issue whats so ever , you ride in a specials class or or a class for pit bike engines.. 

I am all for bums on seats and trials for all.... 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, metisse said:

Its an interesting subject re Specials. We have seen Pre 65's go from the Classic's intended in the ninties and before , evolving and evolving, all on the somewhat rose tinted assumptions " It could have been done in the day " , to now most are super engineered, super competitive , dont look in many cases classic, all because its been allowed to dtrift this way.  Riders would almost give their left bollock to win the most prestigous classic trials, whilst riders who support classic trials on the real  classic machines dont waste a stamp anymore, one because the events have become far too hard. 

Twinshocks are going the same way, and the amount of posts on vairous sites showing bikes with aircooled mono forks, engines tubless tyres the list goes on  and the apparent apathy towards this shows that twinshocks will go the same way as Pre 65.. given time. 

The only way to stop this is to have some hard and fast rules about what is accepetable and whats not...In Spain, they have in my opinion the best trials and the best rules.. your bike is vetted and if it conforms to how it should be then you can ride in the appropriate class. A friend of mind cut the bottom rails off his 1973/4 Bultaco, so now he has to ride pre 80 no if's no buts.  Its a can or worms on what should be allowed and what consitutes a mod to far... something that needs discussing in a sensible way.

These pit bike engine machines reared their head a few years back I remember, and now I know several other people looking to build one.. great,  no issue whats so ever , you ride in a specials class or or a class for pit bike engines.. 

I am all for bums on seats and trials for all.... 

Completely agree in almost all respects. we have a ty175 and Fantic 240 that my son rides competitively to top national level. The back wheel rebuild  for the Fantic cost almost as much as this bike ! 
The  point of this was to keep an old guy busy (my dad - and he has done many  many rebuilds for me) , at minimal cost to me ! The result my son might ride now and again in a Wednesday night or Saturday easy trial - against anything that anyone wants to run in the easy route - and most people up our way will just say crack on, well done. Actually at the trial last Sunday a load of people asked me and my son “so when’s this bike coming out? Can’t wait to see it “
cheers

john 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, metisse said:

I would go one step further and introduce a handy cap system, really level the playing field. 

• 1 month later...

This is just what I was planning to do with my italyam, (which is for sale in classifieds if anyones been given some ideas ?)

Would have been going along the lines of a 100cc  twostroke as I don't have the fabrication skills to safely alter is frame, even though I've got the 'perfect motor awaiting its time (a 90cc Honda with gearbox (not auto)

All the best

Andy

Hi andy

the mods aren’t too bad at all ! To be honest you are giving away the chassis and motor - I even thought of buying it for the money to build another and sell it on !!

i would sell the yam engine and go for it - would make a fantastic bike with the Honda engine

cheers

john 

17 minutes ago, John barnett said:

Hi andy

the mods aren’t too bad at all ! To be honest you are giving away the chassis and motor - I even thought of buying it for the money to build another and sell it on !!

i would sell the yam engine and go for it - would make a fantastic bike with the Honda engine

cheers

john 

Hi John,

Room and time, I'm afraid are against me..............I only picked this one up as I was finding sourcing another 123 montesa engine for smallest Cota..........after trying spain, france and the states, one pops up in Hampshire.................

Four trials bikes in the garage leaves no working room for anything else..........?

Looking to move Italyam on............

All the best

Andy