4rt differences

monteeman

Howdee diddlee doo.

I decided to treat myself. Just bought this, its a 2017 model. its downsides are a very small scratch in the fork stanction,(seals not affected, just cosmetic,) and a little bit of play on the linkage, but for the price (read-very cheap), I couldn't - not buy it.

Think ive done the right thing. Cant wait for delivery.... Wooo hooo.

300rr1.jpg

300rr2.jpg

Edited by monteeman
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

heres a pic of the brothers one, its minter than a pack of polos. I think the original owner posted pics on the 300rr thread. It looks like its done nothing, if im honest, truly like new. 

Im liking the graphics on this too and prefer the white mudguards, makes it look lighter.

300rr12.jpg

Edited by monteeman
  • Like 1

Well, its arrived, and I have to say, its in better nick than I thought it would be  (for the price I paid) . I don't think its seen much action in rocky sections, the underside of the pegs are like new and the bash plate too, as is the underside of the swingarm and the linkage..

it has seen some use tho - for trail riding or possibly just for dicking about with.

Faults- Im maybe being a bit fussy but;

The bottom of the radiator will need a bit of paint, looks like its been blasted by track debri, but ive got a mud flap to rivet on.

The LHS fork bottom has a couple of scrapes, but ive put my old Kevlar guards on it to prevent further damage.

The LHS fork stanction has a scratch on it, about 2/3rds of the way up, sseal is intact tho, so just cosmetic.

Engine sounds good and the power feels a bit softer than my brothers 300rr for some bizarre reason (both 2017 models). its definitely not as snatchy off the bottom as my old 250 4rts, 2005 &2008 models.

Alll in all I think im gonna like it.

rr1.JPG

rr2.JPG

rr3.JPG

• Like 2

5 hours ago, monteeman said:

Well, its arrived, and I have to say, its in better nick than I thought it would be  (for the price I paid) . I don't think its seen much action in rocky sections, the underside of the pegs are like new and the bash plate too, as is the underside of the swingarm and the linkage..

it has seen some use tho - for trail riding or possibly just for dicking about with.

Faults- Im maybe being a bit fussy but;

The bottom of the radiator will need a bit of paint, looks like its been blasted by track debri, but ive got a mud flap to rivet on.

The LHS fork bottom has a couple of scrapes, but ive put my old Kevlar guards on it to prevent further damage.

The LHS fork stanction has a scratch on it, about 2/3rds of the way up, sseal is intact tho, so just cosmetic.

Engine sounds good and the power feels a bit softer than my brothers 300rr for some bizarre reason (both 2017 models). its definitely not as snatchy off the bottom as my old 250 4rts, 2005 &2008 models.

Alll in all I think im gonna like it.

On the softer on the bottom, you might check the map switch as it could be on soft, but my real guess would be to double check the throttle tube.  Mine felt a lot softer than I expected when I first got it and found it had a black (slow) tube I didn't expect that as my 07 had a white tube, so I swapped the 300RR to a white (fast) and all sorted.  

Glad its in good shape!

• Like 1

Yes mate, you are right , it has got the slow throttle tube on it, but I like it like this, because I generally ride sections slower than a lot of riders. I will try it in some sections and see how it goes, but im sure it will be fine. I like it. its also on the soft map, but ive only been riding around the garden annoying the neighbours so far.

I noticed the tube colour when I changed out the crappy old grips for my preffered renthal ones last night.

Im going to take it to bits and give it a good once over first, it also needs a proper clean. the swingarm spindle and linkages are  gonna get a strip down and grease, and im gonna have to adjust the shock and forks to "extra sausages" setting lol. 

What oils are you all using on these. I used to use silkolene pro SRG75 or elf 740 HTX gear oil before, and the repsol 4t 10/30 engine oil , but things might have progressed a bit in the past 15 years.

Any alternative recommendations or just stick with what ive got.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 2:37 AM, monteeman said:

Yes mate, you are right , it has got the slow throttle tube on it, but I like it like this, because I generally ride sections slower than a lot of riders. I will try it in some sections and see how it goes, but im sure it will be fine. I like it. its also on the soft map, but ive only been riding around the garden annoying the neighbours so far.

I noticed the tube colour when I changed out the crappy old grips for my preffered renthal ones last night.

Im going to take it to bits and give it a good once over first, it also needs a proper clean. the swingarm spindle and linkages are  gonna get a strip down and grease, and im gonna have to adjust the shock and forks to "extra sausages" setting lol. 

What oils are you all using on these. I used to use silkolene pro SRG75 or elf 740 HTX gear oil before, and the repsol 4t 10/30 engine oil , but things might have progressed a bit in the past 15 years.

I use the Elf 740 HTX but have had decent experience with Maxima's MTL 75, though if I was in Europe I would consider trying GRO's extra light gear oil.  Maxima is a bit thicker than the Elf but not a lot and is great once the bike is warmed up and dose give the clutch a touch more of a progressive feel.  (Note: it took two oil changes to really feel the full difference in the oils.)

Edit: Clarified the Maxima context in the thicker comment.

Edited by jonnyc21
pore context fix
  • Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 9:37 AM, monteeman said:

Slow throttle is standard and with the smooth bottom end torque makes the bike very rideable.

Had  a spin on a 301 with fast tube back to back with my std 301 and struggled with the quicker response especially on rolling rocks.