Climber 280r magneto

gasgasrob

So after the weekend trial had issues with the bike bogging and cutting out after 10 minutes of riding ......I've stripped the carb I'm gonna ultrasonic it this week but I checked the Magneto see pics some rust and damp in places is this an issue could it cause my symptoms

IMG_20200110_114754.jpg

IMG_20200110_114802.jpg

Whats been going on with that flywheel locating nut, looks to have been punched with few blows to possibly make it a tighter fit (staked) with regards to coming undone. The waterproofing where the loom passes through the case looks as though its been compromised and certainly moisture will cause running issues. The rust will eventually have an effect on efficiency, although in your case it doesn’t look too bad....certainly clean it up and the face of each coil but be careful to not break any insulation sort the waterproofing as well. These ignition systems do suffer from coil break down so as everything warms up then a minor break in a coil winding opens up to interrupt the circuit....hence your 10 mins of running and then dead. There is a thread on GasGas trials central about this issue, you may be lucky and it might only be the ignition coil (ht) or it could be the pick up unit which is not so good. Some basic resistance testing may give an indication to the fault but have a look at the thread I mentioned. Some one else might pinpoint the fault straight away for you. Good luck.....whatever cleaning the carb is always a good thing, check the fuel flow from the tank as these can be affected by the dreaded ethanol and/or ant lining that may have been added.

Edited by section swept

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys need help I cleaned and set up carb also cleaned pick up and magneto as was damp a bit and bit of rust but all clean now started bike ran awsome for 30 minutes left it few days restarted today and it's bogging and cutting out again ????? Wtf ? Getting stressed with it now plug seems to be very wet ? What else can I check 

Your ignition is probably dying, are you getting a spark ? A company in Germany do a replacement, not cheap. Maybe get the stator and cdi checked by Bradford Ingnitions .

What carb is on it ? If its an air screw Dellorto they can be temperamental, try get a loan of a petrol screw one to eliminate that.

I'm assuming your getting a good spark when it stops ?

Edited by b40rt

8 hours ago, b40rt said:

Your ignition is probably dying, are you getting a spark ? A company in Germany do a replacement, not cheap. Maybe get the stator and cdi checked by Bradford Ingnitions .

What carb is on it ? If its an air screw Dellorto they can be temperamental, try get a loan of a petrol screw one to eliminate that.

I'm assuming your getting a good spark when it stops ?

Spark is good and strong bit plug seems to be very wet it's an air screw type I've got it at 1 and half ISH out 

1 hour ago, gasgasrob said:

Spark is good and strong bit plug seems to be very wet it's an air screw type I've got it at 1 and half ISH out 

So when the bike boggs and stops, you take the plug out and your getting a good spark ?  At that stage have you tried a new plug ? A picture of the plug would also be useful.

The upper coil which is for the ignition looks to have some corrosion, would be an explanation that it did cut out when getting hot.

Look up the wire lines which go up to the ignition here can be an issue too, to my Aprilia the wires where laid so bad the got burnt to the cylinder. 

1,5 half turn out is much to the lean side, if you turn out the carb is adjusted leaner, if you turn in richer. 

Please try out if the bike runs better with a different set up, when it is warm adjust the idle a bit higher, then slowly turn the screw in and out to the point where the engine uns with even higher rpm then before while idling. That is the perfect adjustment. You can then turn down the idle to normal set up you like. 

18 hours ago, b40rt said:

So when the bike boggs and stops, you take the plug out and your getting a good spark ?  At that stage have you tried a new plug ? A picture of the plug would also be useful.

Yeah it's black and wet I'll give it a run tomorrow and take a photo 

I'll give it a go tomorrow thanks lads I've had a look at the old kill switch found corrosion on the wire so I'll sort that aswel   .....

Just to clarify it seems to bog and stop rather than straight cut out and it does restart on choke