What have I got ?

Billtaco

Hi all. Just joined the group today, so i am new to the forum. This is my first post, and hopefully I can get an answer to my query.  I have reached the stage of giving up my Kawasaki ZXR in favour of something smaller and lighter, and  as i owned a Montesa Cota 247, and ran it on the road (about forty years ago ! ) i thought that this would be the way to go. I am in the process of buying a Bultaco sherpa at the moment,  with the intention of getting it registered for the road, and entering a couple of road runs . The bike doesn't have a V5 . The owner says that he has had an HPI check done, which didn't show up anything. I have been reading all the posts about getting an age related number, and think I am quite happy with the process and procedures that need to be taken. My query is that the bike has a frame number  B 8000****   and the engine is stamped JM 125000** .I don't know very much about the various Bultaco models and numbering process, but I have had a look on the Internet.  The seller tells me that the bike is standard, but it looks to me like it has a non matching 350 cc engine.  I am not too bothered about that, but I don't want to go through the age related number process with DVLA and find out that i can't get one, and i don't want to put it on a Q plate.    I would appreciate any of your thoughts on the bike , and hopefully get some positive answers, so that I can get things moving. 

Bill 

Bill - 

Frame  #80***** points to a Sherpa  T 250.

Engine  #125*****  should also be Sherpa T,  but  325 ("350") and approx. 3 years newer.

Standard ? Well, it didn't leave the factory like this..........

Shouldn't affect the usabilty of the bike however, and as b40rt stated, probably won't bother DVLA.

Edited by lorenzo
Correction

Is this the blue bike ? 

If it is, from what I can see of it in the pictures it is a mix of a 250cc model 80 frame and tank with the 325cc engine, forks and wheels from a model 125. Top yoke is from the 325 and bottom yoke from the 250.  The exhaust looks to be from a later model 250 which fits as the bore size is the same as the early 325. Later 325 had a larger bore exhaust

The model 80 is from 1971/72, the model 125 from 1974.  They were 325cc but referred to as 350 for some reason.

It looks a very nice bike and if it is mechanically as good as it looks then the price is good. The mix of parts is immaterial as to the useability of the bike but some people are obsessed with the matching numbers game - it's irrelevant, it's a trials bike made for throwing up rocks. However, you need to know what's what from a parts / servicing aspect. You need to quote model numbers when buying Bultaco parts as some models overlapped so quoting just a year isn't always sufficient.

As others have mentioned DVLA use the chassis to date the bike and won't be interested in the engine. All you need is a dating certificate that states Bultaco Sherpa  model number B-80### is a 1971 model - you don't need a date against the engine number.

Before you begin the registration process send a V62 to DVLA with the chassis number and they will run a check to see if it is on their system with a registration number. It's worth putting a short covering letter with it saying you've bought the bike with no docs but believe it may have been registered when new but docs have been lost over time. If it is they will send you the V5 and cash your cheque. If it isn't they just write back stating no trace and also return your cheque as they don't charge for no trace.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, woody said:

Is this the blue bike ? 

If it is, from what I can see of it in the pictures it is a mix of a 250cc model 80 frame and tank with the 325cc engine, forks and wheels from a model 125. Top yoke is from the 325 and bottom yoke from the 250.  The exhaust looks to be from a later model 250 which fits as the bore size is the same as the early 325. Later 325 had a larger bore exhaust

The model 80 is from 1971/72, the model 125 from 1974.  They were 325cc but referred to as 350 for some reason.

It looks a very nice bike and if it is mechanically as good as it looks then the price is good. The mix of parts is immaterial as to the useability of the bike but some people are obsessed with the matching numbers game - it's irrelevant, it's a trials bike made for throwing up rocks. However, you need to know what's what from a parts / servicing aspect. You need to quote model numbers when buying Bultaco parts as some models overlapped so quoting just a year isn't always sufficient.

As others have mentioned DVLA use the chassis to date the bike and won't be interested in the engine. All you need is a dating certificate that states Bultaco Sherpa  model number B-80### is a 1971 model - you don't need a date against the engine number.

Before you begin the registration process send a V62 to DVLA with the chassis number and they will run a check to see if it is on their system with a registration number. It's worth putting a short covering letter with it saying you've bought the bike with no docs but believe it may have been registered when new but docs have been lost over time. If it is they will send you the V5 and cash your cheque. If it isn't they just write back stating no trace and also return your cheque as they don't charge for no trace.

Hi Woody.

Yes I think we're talking about the same bike . Blue on Gumtree. Frame number - B 80002786  Engine - JM 12500027. If we are talking about the same bike, then thank you for all the information. You have given me all the answers I was looking for. Thanks also to all the other guys who posted.   I am not at all concerned about the non matching numbers and mix of parts from different models, all I'm wanting is to get it registered and ok for road use. As i have said, I'm not familiar with all the Bultaco models, so your identification of the various model parts is a great help. 

Thanks again 

Bill