HELP. Montesa 4RT Not starting

AW 4RT

open up the idle screw...4rt’s run at around 1800rpm... my son turn his down when he first bought it after being in a gas gas because he thought it was running too high...took a month to figure out what had gone wrong!
You can run a separate 12v supply to the fuel pump... there’s a twin wire connection under the tank... this will reduce the voltage load on the electrics. If it starts ok with a separate 12v on the pump then you may want to consider a new capacitor and inspect the loom for corrosion on the earths... we had ‘black’ wire corrosion coming from the capacitor that had crept up the loom... this didn’t stop the bike starting- (that was due to a faulty Ecu) but it didn’t help!

• Like 2

Had my fuel pump wire come loose on my 07 once causing mine not to start, only other time it wouldn’t start was it had a low idle as stated above.

Might be good to know year as well as it could help us to give better advice on possible issues...

Thanks everyone ! Its an 09.

I have checked the injector (both on kick over and 12V external) and spits a very little fuel so that suggests the fuel supply side as suggested. I will try your other points and idle. How many full turns out would you suggest starting from ?

With it being an 09, you might want to clean or replace the t-bag filter.  

Edit:

On idle adjustment turn it in about 3/4 to 1 turn in from where it is now if I remember correctly and then giving it a go I think is what I did, after that I used a Tachometer to get it set to 1800, was about 2200 if I recall beforehand.

Edited by jonnyc21