300, Tame ? Or Insane ?

dixie

Hi, I know its like asking "What's the best flavour ice cream"

But is the 300 evo soft or not? I am an average rider , getting on in age , and always sing the virtues of 200 Betas, but they are like hens teeth...

Loads of good looking 300's around , for reasonable money... But are they too fiery ??  Owner replies please.

I certainly wouldn't describe them as fiery, completey the opposite in fact! I'm on my third evo 300 and can't get enough of them. Granted nobody at club trial level 'needs' a 300 but having compared them with a 250 I just much prefer the power delivery of the 300.

Haven't tried a 200 but heard great things.

7 minutes ago, rich500 said:

I certainly wouldn't describe them as fiery, completey the opposite in fact! I'm on my third evo 300 and can't get enough of them. Granted nobody at club trial level 'needs' a 300 but having compared them with a 250 I just much prefer the power delivery of the 300.

Haven't tried a 200 but heard great things.

What is the thing you like ? I love really thumpy low reving motors , and prefer first gear plodding ! 

I had an old rev3 290 , and it was a real handful.....

Sounds like you need 300 4t evo ?.  Super soft and smooth plenty of power but not fierce and just chugs away in first.  

Its marmite though, love or hate four strokes as different riding style. I don’t feel any extra weight when riding 

I have '16 Evo 300 that has plenty of snap when I need it, but I customized it to help with going slower in tight sections. Went from 10/42 stock gearing to 10/44 and use 1st gear for most everything, except bigger hill climbs like 2nd gear. Modified Domino white "fast action" throttle tube to be "slow action, just off idle", then fast action for anything over 1/4 throttle. Also tried Super Smooth heavier flywheel (+10 ounces over stock) and added weighted "Anti-Stall Primary Gear". Combination of both was too much; so went back to stock flywheel - keeping weighted primary gear. I compete with EVO 200 and it really is the perfect bike for sections, but doesn't have the grunt for riding the loop trail that the 300 has. For bushwhacking, hands down, the 300 will pretty much go anywhere with no complaints.

I have had a standard UK spec 15 model, and now a 19 model and it is very torquey and slow revving and suits my deliberate clubman level riding. It definitely goes if you open it up. I do think its a personal thing though, not for everyone and as ever try beg a quick go on one. I frequently  ride our revier 250 Evo, but far prefer the 300.

I think they differ between individual bikes, I had a '16 300 & it was lovely & soft off the bottom, great for clubman type plodding & grip finding. Now I have a 2019 300 & its totally different, very sharp & fast. (unlike 5again's bike above strangely) Too much for me in fact, had to put a low compression head insert in, now its just like the standard '16 model was, lovely!

I’ve had a rev3 200. Loved it. Currently got a tamed Evo 300 2012. It’s fine chugging about and doing plodding basic stuff. I find it gets lairy when I try to up the game and once wound up you need a level of skill I don’t have. I’ve been looking at other options like another 200 but ended up trying a 125 factory the other day. It was ace. Everything was easy on it. Mega light. Surprisingly torquey. You can run 3rd gear no bother. I’m now very tempted. I enjoy a few more revs so the 125 seems a great choice for me. See if you try one. 

Glad to see you posted about a Beta after seeing the Vertigo post. If you liked the 200, you would be doing yourself a favor buying a 250 EVO. Very tame engine, BUT it can really grunt unlike the 200. And at the same time you can let the rev`s fly and it can do anything the 300 does. Being it runs the lowest compression, it is a mild starter too. I have had mine since 2016 and it`s just so forgiving a bike.

22 hours ago, dixie said:

I love really thumpy low reving motors , and prefer first gear plodding ! 

I had a 2014 US model Factory 300 with standard throttle and that is exactly how I would describe it.  It was noticeably slower reving than 250s I tried with slow action throttles.  However when/ if you reved it up, it made a lot of power so if the throttle really gets away from you sometimes, it may not be a good idea.  It was probably up around 4000 rpm that it showed its teeth but the power was still very linear.  I'm also an average rider at best so never had a reason to rev it up.  The one thing I did not like about the bike was that it took a very serious kick to get it going.  I don't mean to imply that it was a hard starting bike, just that it took a lot of force on the kicker to get it to turn over.  This can be a personal problem.  I'm short and only 155 lbs so the kicker was almost hip height and it was difficult to get my weight over it.  That is really the only complaint I hear about 300 Betas.  I did get a ride on a 2018 300 super smooth and the most shocking thing was how easy it was to kick.  It could have been the low compression head or maybe even porting.  I did not ride it long enough to compare power delivery.

As Timdog says, you could consider a Beta 300 4T.  Off idle torque is very strong and revs seem to pick up slower than 2 strokes..  It will rev high but is the opposite of the 300 2t at high revs in that it becomes kind of fluffy on top and can not seem to produce that "get away from you" feeling.  Power feels slower, more like a push than a hit.  As an older guy, I think it makes riding easier on my body and less tiring.     

• Thanks 1