airoh trials helmets

monteeman

Hello, im getting back into the sport, and need a new helmet.

When I did trials about 15 years ago I used a shoei tr trials helmet, and it was great, quality design vents that worked etc.

Unfortunately I put it on the end of my handlebars when checking out a section, the bike fell off its stand and punched a neat handlebar sized hole through the shell.

Anyway my budget wont stretch to another shoei, so ive been looking at the airohs.They look like kryten from red dwarf designed them, but you cant have everythiing

I have a few questions for you.

Are the liniings removable? I would hope so, but none of the ads really say. 

2nd the vents, do they work?

3 anyone broken one by crashing,? in other words, hows the quality of them?

it says in the ads that a 61cm head is a large, but usually its XL, so I presume they are on the tight side size wise. In other words, my noggin is 61, what size should I go with, it says 59-61 is large then 62-64 is xl, im thinking XL?

It also says on some ads there are TRR model and TRR_S. whats the difference, if any?

thanks for any input. 

I have an Airoh TRR that I've used the past couple of years.

The linings are easily removable and washable (I put mine in a mesh washing bag and throw it in the machine - maybe 4 machine washes and a couple of hand washes and no sign of damage)

The vents work, although in our hot weather (Australia) it's still pretty warm. I can feel the air move when travelling at a bit of speed, but at section speeds I'm not sure I can notice it. I'm confident they do help in some way though. They come with clip on vent covers for wet/cold weather.

I've not had any major crashes - a few minor bumps that would certainly have hurt without it. It does seem to be durable and decent quality.

I measure 58cm and have an M 57-58 helmet. It's OK. Mine was a little tight new so I removed the ear pads for the first few weeks. Once it had settled in I could replace the pads and re-routed the chin strap to between the pad and the shell and all is well. I'm not sure if the next size up would feel a bit loose or not, possibly I think. Tricky decision.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Nice and light, fit my head shape quite well. They do seem to be a little on the small side on their sizing. If I could change anything it would be to add more vents like an MTB hemet, but I can't see any helmet passing the motorcycle helmet standards with that amount of venting.

I am starting to wear a MTB helmet for practice at home in hot weather - much more pleasant. I suspect a full face MTB helmet would actually provide better protection for much of my trials riding than an open MC helmet, as well as being lighter & cooler.

No idea if/what the difference between a TRR and TRR_S is.

Edited by bikerpet
  • Like 1

I've read that there have been some problems with airoh mx style helmets having non stainless steal rivets or D clamps that seem to rust with in a year from sweat/washing etc. I'm looking for a new helmet soon & that will be the first thing i check, i have a tld & m2r helmet & these parts are stainless & look like new .

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, feetupfun said:

I have had a few Airoh trials helmets and they all suffered from rapid rusting of the metal parts even when I took precautions

ive had 7 airohs and none have rusted.

I would reccomend that you try helmets more than any item BEFORE you buy as everybodys head is a different shape and size and whilst one make will fit just right its not always goldilocks.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, nigel dabster said:

ive had 7 airohs and none have rusted.

I would reccomend that you try helmets more than any item BEFORE you buy as everybodys head is a different shape and size and whilst one make will fit just right its not always goldilocks.

Every ride here ends with a helmet soaked with sweat. I've not yet had a trials helmet that doesn't die of rust before something else stops me using it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

there had to be some disadvantage with living in Oz!

The current disadvantage is that you have to ride wearing a P2 dust mask to keep out some of the smoke. Of course that's if you're not preparing for, defending from or running away from the fires themselves.

Or been burnt out.

Edited by bikerpet
  • Sad 1

I bought a Jitsie Domino that fitted perfectly when I got it, after a while it became a little '' loose '' on my head. I emailled my friend at Splat Shop that confirmed me that the shell is the same for many size. So from a large size lining I went to a medium , it was on the tight side, so I use one side mediun and the other side large. The fit is perfect.

Guy

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

20 hours ago, bikerpet said:

The current disadvantage is that you have to ride wearing a P2 dust mask to keep out some of the smoke. Of course that's if you're not preparing for, defending from or running away from the fires themselves.

Or been burnt out.

Rains on the way?

20 hours ago, bikerpet said:

Or been burnt out.

Yes like that here in South Gippsland, we got a bit of rain last night & it looks like we are expecting more, but not as much as they predicted ;)