Very new

Djks1000r

Hi All

Never rode a trial bike before, dont own a bike yet either.

Had road bikes for 30 plus years and still own a road bike now. Hit the big 50 December 2019 and would love a new challenge and hobbie that involves bikes and bikers and trials looks as if it could offer that .

I live in Wolverhampton and am looking for a local club etc to get a bit of info into where to start. ANY help would be great at this stage

Many Thanks Darren

• Like 1

Hi Darren,

I'm based pretty locally to yourself, couple of junctions down the M5.

There are quite a few clubs around the West Midlands. Redditch, Stourbridge, penkridge, Earl shilton, bewdley, Evesham, stratford..the list is a long one! 

Be worth taking a look at the Midlands AMCA and ACU Facebook pages to see what's on and get down to a local trial for a watch. People are friendly at trials, have a chat with some people and they're usually more than happy point you in the right direction. I'm sure there is an AMCA trial at Hobbs hole, Walsall this Sunday. 

There is also an events calander on trialscentral as well that will tell you when something local is happening.

Before you go and buy a bike, kit etc I would suggest getting on a lesson. I can recommend heading up to leek and seeing Stu at Trialsday. Provides all the kit and a bike for the day.

If you go for it and get your own bike/kit there is a decent group of riders around the west midlands that are out most weekends. 

Have a nose at The Tubby Trial Team page on Facebook, good bunch and we're a big help when I started out and there's usually a few out riding/mucking about somewhere in the Midlands.

Hope this helps

Edited by dan929
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, dan929 said:

Hi Darren,

I'm based pretty locally to yourself, couple of junctions down the M5.

There are quite a few clubs around the West Midlands. Redditch, Stourbridge, penkridge, Earl shilton, bewdley, Evesham, stratford..the list is a long one! 

Be worth taking a look at the Midlands AMCA and ACU Facebook pages to see what's on and get down to a local trial for a watch. People are friendly at trials, have a chat with some people and they're usually more than happy point you in the right direction. I'm sure there is an AMCA trial at Hobbs hole, Walsall this Sunday. 

There is also an events calander on trialscentral as well that will tell you when something local is happening.

Before you go and buy a bike, kit etc I would suggest getting on a lesson. I can recommend heading up to leek and seeing Stu at Trialsday. Provides all the kit and a bike for the day.

If you go for it and get your own bike/kit there is a decent group of riders around the west midlands that are out most weekends. 

Have a nose at The Tubby Trial Team page on Facebook, good bunch and we're a big help when I started out and there's usually a few out riding/mucking about somewhere in the Midlands.

Hope this helps

Thanks Dan thats already a great help. Im as basic as what bike to buy etc 

Bikes are a bit subjective, personally 250 or less and as new as you can realistically afford. All modern bikes will be more capable then nearly all riders, and all will have there good/bad points. Beta (stick to the EVO), GasGas, scorpa, TRS, Montesa, sherco seem to be the common makes I see at most trials.

Head to a trial or a school and have a chat with people who ride, trials riders are a friendly bunch.

I did a school first. Then watched a trial and spoke to a few people for advice on bikes, clubs, practice grounds, kit etc and even got offered a go on a few bikes while I was watching.

Basics for kit would be bike, boots, helmet, gloves. Knee pads are handy.

Most of my kit was second hand when I started and just upgraded as time went by.

Hi Darren, 

Birchwood Farm is not too far from you, it's a good practice area and trials venue situated at Shatterford just off the main Bridgnorth to Kidderminster road (postcode DY12 1TP). Quite a few clubs put on events there (Bewdley, Stourbridge etc) and you can practice there all day for £10. It might be worth you popping along there and having a chat with some of the riders that use it, trials riders are normally a friendly bunch and always willing to give advice etc. 

I live in Shrewsbury, am 57 and generally compete at the Gresford and Aquaduct classic trials events. I ride a modern bike and they are happy to let you do this.  The section layouts are more "old school" and you don't need to be able to bounce the bike around to enjoy it. Both clubs have good websites and the Gresford club have an event this Sunday not far from Oswestry. 

I agree with the advice from the other guy about bikes, don't buy a large capacity cc machine as they take some mastering. If I was in your shoes I would start with a 125, nice and light and fairly easy to control. Please don't listen to people who tell you that they are too small and you need at least a 250, total rubbish! I would budget between £1500 and £2000 if you can, you should get something fairly decent and reliable for that. Beta Evo's are great but I am a little biased as I have 2 of them. 

Good luck and maybe see you at a trial in the near future.... 

Rich

Thanks Rich

Thanks for the advice. I read about the shattford place and was going to have a ride over and take a look. Ive been offered a bike from a work colleague been well looked after hes had it from new, gas gas 2009 (new shape frame i will have to believe him on that) 300 txt dont know if that will be to big to start on, but its looks a great bike. Iam 17 stone 6 foot 2 so might need something to pull me around lol.

Darren

Hi Darren, 

I would definitely try your colleagues GG first because trials riding is really nothing like riding on the road. It's pretty physical and as your skills improve so does the level of physical input, body movement etc. 

300's can be calmed down quite a bit by the use of flywheel weights, slow action throttles and head spacers etc but in inexperienced hands they could put someone off the sport for good. From what you said you are obviously a biggish lad (no disrespect) so maybe it will work for you. I had a 2015 GG 125 Factory and I have to admit it was a nice bit of kit. 

Try before you buy as there are plenty of bikes out there if you don't like it.... 

Rich

Carrying a few pounds of lard might eliminate a 125 from the shopping list but I don’t think it changes the 250 v 300 debate. A 250 will be a lot more capable than you are and is never going to run out of puff. A 300 might take you to places you don’t want to go. (It’s not just a matter of 50cc. It’s the way they are tuned.)