vertigo ice hell fuel problem

gregors47

Hi everyone, just took my recently acquired 2016 ice hell out for a ride the other day. it was running fine for about 3 hours and then about an hour after i refuelled it, it sounded like it was running out of fuel and then died. after about 4/5 kicks it would start again and then run for 5 minutes until it would do the same thing

anyone have any idea what it could be? I've heard possible fuel regulator? but not too sure 

cheers

Andy 

Hi Andy, the problem is likely to be with the fuel pump. At the bottom of the pump is a filter screen, sometimes these can fall off when the pump is removed and re-assembled, just letting you know so when you take out your pump you know what to look out for. You would need to disconnect the 12v power to the pump and very carefully prise off the top hose, fuel outlet pipe. Then remove the 4 mounting bolts and wiggle the pump out. What can happen is that the pump suction can become clogged with sediment from the tank, it is a small hole at the bottom of the pump, have a look if this is the case and if so clean it out. Bye, Peter B.

• Like 1

When i was looking at new bikes 3 years ago, I considered a Vertigo, what put me off was the complexity of the fueling system, do you really need this level of complexity on a machine that will get drowned, thrown at rocks, pressure washed and generally abused? Carbs are simple, reliable and easy to fix. Just my thoughts.

The last decades 99 percent of cars and motorbikes use these fuel systems and reliability these days is no issue. But fuel filters do need maintenance.

And for the majority of people carbs are not that simple, tricky to maintain and rather difficult to adjust properly. For a trials bike a carb does have advantages, but in my opinion definitely not regarding reliability and ease of use.

On 1/23/2020 at 11:11 AM, misscrabstick said:

When i was looking at new bikes 3 years ago, I considered a Vertigo, what put me off was the complexity of the fueling system, do you really need this level of complexity on a machine that will get drowned, thrown at rocks, pressure washed and generally abused? Carbs are simple, reliable and easy to fix. Just my thoughts.

No more complex than stuck floats or a plugged pilot jet. Been thousands of posts on carb issues .   Overall my vertigo has required less maintenance and always run spot in all seasons . Something I can’t say my gasser did

23 hours ago, sprinter 27 said:

No more complex than stuck floats or a plugged pilot jet. Been thousands of posts on carb issues .   Overall my vertigo has required less maintenance and always run spot in all seasons . Something I can’t say my gasser did

I'd sooner blow out a jet than pay out for an ecu or injector, or spend hours and hours troubleshooting a non start situation.

On 1/25/2020 at 9:57 AM, sprinter 27 said:

Overall my vertigo has required less maintenance and always run spot in all seasons . Something I can’t say my gasser did

Of the seven bikes in my stable, six are FI. My experience mirrors yours. I've never had a fueling failure on FI, and the lone carb bike requires more maintenance than the others combined. I'm totally stoked my incoming Vertigo won't require the necessary carb headaches.

The complexity and potential failure of FI components is routinely brought up in forums, and I'm sure a handful of folks have been bitten. Personally, I think it's a problem that's totally blown out of proportion, and its benefits far outweigh any theoretical shortcomings.

More to the point: It's not like people will have a choice for long. Given ever stricter EU/US emissions standards, carbs are not long for this world. If one wants to buy new, the days are coming where you simply won't have any choice.

• Like 1

That’s like arguing republican and Democrat saying we can’t work on anything in a Vertigo tech thread .  Meanwhile most riders would not want to relive the points and condenser days , But it wasn’t that long ago riders were in an uproar over those CDI black box’s that could leave you stranded , all you really need is a points file rather than that crazy new tech .  

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I had problems with my electric system 2017 300cc ICE Hell capacitor leading to fuel pump not activating/energizing properly at start up/kick...sometimes very hard to start!  I actually installed a tiny 12V Lithium rechargeable battery into the airbox 🔋  and a switch to turn off/on. Now when I hit the switch, I can hear the fuel pump energize and kicks first kick no problem every time. I don't like the capacitor being only source of initial power on the newest models, so I fixed it. Problem solved.

Screenshot_20230330_143429.jpg

20230330_143342.jpg