TRS NIGHTMARE

dwb5151

Where do i begin with this, my first TRS was a 2016 300 model, it was a great bike, reliable and only let me down once. I had done hundreds of hours on it, what problems did i have with it. Well, when the bike was 1.5 years old the kill switch stopped working , turned out to be the CDI box, got it replaced for free. Then the bike started burning oil, nearly caught me out, as it nearly ran out of oil. But it was saved just in time. 

Being well impressed with the bike on how reliable it had been, and easy to work on i decided to upgrade to a new 2018 trs 300rr.

So when i took delivery of the bike I was over the moon with it, but then the problems started.

First week the bike started leaking coolant around where the top head meets the cylinder head, contacted the dealer, they presumed it was the head orings. So they replaced the head orings . The bike continued to leak coolant, so phoned the head of TRS turns out the gruves in the head where cut to deep. Problem was they didn't have the parts in to replace them. So we decided to replace the orings in the mean time with bigger ones, the bike was still leaking coolant. So before every ride i had to unscrew the radiator cap and check the coolant. After doing this for a few months the bike started to build up compression in the radiator and shoot coolant out of the expansions area. After taking the radiator cap of that much it started to round on me, so i had to buy an after market one as the standard one is terrible quality.  Although the good news is the parts had finally arrived in. So the dealer replaced the head and orings, The thermostat also went due to the compression in the radiator. All replaced under warranty. 

Then a few weeks later the waterpump seal went, and the bike had to go to the dealer again.

Then 3 weeks later it happened again, so I took the bike back to the dealer again to get this fixed ,turned out to be a manufacturing defect on the clutch which was causing this, so the dealer had to send the clutch casing away to see if it could be fixed. It was away three weeks and could not be fixed.  So they had to ship out a 2019 clutch casing. Due to this being a manufacturing defect they replaced it. (by this case the bike was out of warrenty so had to pay for the labour)

Got the bike back finally hoping everything was sorted, was riding it for a reasonable time and then it decided to start acting up, running terrible literally un-ridable. Presumed it was the CDI box was the culprit, bike was at the dealer for another 3 weeks to figure out what was wrong with it, waiting to get a lend of a cdi box and stator to switch them around to see what was causing the problem. Turned out to be none of them, it was the connector in front of the carb, one of the pins had a slight bit of corrosion on it. So the pin was clean and the bike was running perfect.

Then the bike started smoking a lot and it turned out to be the crankcase seal, so the bike was burning oil, bike had to go to the dealer again and was away for another couple of weeks. Then i got the bike back last week next day the bike started to run terrible.

The bike was cutting out, rattling and sounding terrible. So back to the dealer again, turns out to be the cdi box, but it wont be replaced like what happen on my previous trs.

The reason they wont replace it is due to one of the pins on the connector having a bit of corrosion on it, apparently this is what caused the cdi to go, yet this happens 3 weeks after getting the pin cleaned on the connector,  im sorry but this bike has done nothing, not a single trial has been done on it, i have only rode the bike on my own ground, It has spent more time at the dealer getting fixed than anything. The connector is apparently waterproof but yet it isnt going by what happened to it. 

I sorry when i got my first TRS i would have recommended them to anyone but now no. Im sorry but the quality doesnt seem as good in my opinion,      this will be the last TRS i buy.

• Dislike 1

We have a 2018 300 RR. We did have to replace the water pump seal after a 80 mile trials with 80 sections at altitude. Also the fuel cap vent would not vent enough so drilled it out. Total cost zero dollars and 2 day wait time for parts. Awesome machine. It`s my sons and soon to be mine.

DWB5151, why does everything take 3 weeks? Very odd.

4 hours ago, lineaway said:

We have a 2018 300 RR. We did have to replace the water pump seal after a 80 mile trials with 80 sections at altitude. Also the fuel cap vent would not vent enough so drilled it out. Total cost zero dollars and 2 day wait time for parts. Awesome machine. It`s my sons and soon to be mine.

DWB5151, why does everything take 3 weeks? Very odd.

The problem is my dealer who i bought the bike from is very busy 2 -3 weeks its generaly how long it takes for him to fix it. Maybe its just my luck with this bike.

From what you have said, I wouldn't be buying another one either. 

How old is the bike, 2 years?

Its clearly no developed properly before you are having these kind of problems.  it shouldn't be corroding in that time, that's poor, and the fact they wouldn't replace the cdi  item is also pretty poor, because its clearly not fit for purpose. 

I would speak to the importer and see if they will help, or failing that, speak to a solicitor and see if you have a case for making them take it back as its not fit for purpose. 

Wow! That’s a lot of problems, sounds like you’ve been very unlucky with that particular bike. I’ve had a couple of Friday afternoon bikes in my time and it can be very frustrating.

My only advise would be get it sorted get it sold then buy a Montesa and start enjoying hassle free riding. 
In my group of riding buddies we’ve all changed to 4rt’s over the last 5 years, out of 15 + bikes we’ve not had a single mechanical issue.  

Edited by duggan

Just goes to show ,  weve had  a 2017 TRSone    no problems whatsoever, my sons had 2018 rr 250  no problems   sold to a friend of mine still going strong.,currrently have a 2019 trs rr250 and a2020trs 1r    that's four bikes  ridden more than average  ,and the only thing we have replaced is one  thermostat  ,a twenty minute job, A local guy we know has had two trs raga replicas 2018    ,and just replaced with 2 new 2020  models  ,   unlike youre experience  we have  found  the TRS to be   extremely   reliable   ,smooth to ride   and easy to work on.

• Like 2

My 250RR bought new in March 2018 (nearly 2 years old) has had no problems at all. I ride clubman route and about twice a month so not a hard life. I changed the water pump impellor to an all metal CSP one as I was warned that the original plastic impellor with metal insert can break and not circulate coolant. Also fitted a head spacer to soften power a bit. I think you have been unlucky, suggest you contact the importer as it looks like the CDI should be under warranty.

Hello, 

I live in Matadepera in Barcelona area, very few problems from TRS bikes I know of, i had a problem and it was immediately solved under warranty, TRS is having a great prestige for Quality, assistance and warranty, the 20 - 30 users I know are very happy. 

I know that Jordi Tarrés is personally involved in the warranty management and is giving the maximum, so I am sure that any problems would be solved from their side. 

He speaks English very well, please call him and you will have a solution. 

I don't understand a situation like this one not being solved immediately, Jordi and his team are doing a great job, call him and it will be the end of this nightmare. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Antonio said:

Hello, 

I live in Matadepera in Barcelona area, very few problems from TRS bikes I know of, i had a problem and it was immediately solved under warranty, TRS is having a great prestige for Quality, assistance and warranty, the 20 - 30 users I know are very happy. 

I know that Jordi Tarrés is personally involved in the warranty management and is giving the maximum, so I am sure that any problems would be solved from their side. 

He speaks English very well, please call him and you will have a solution. 

I don't understand a situation like this one not being solved immediately, Jordi and his team are doing a great job, call him and it will be the end of this nightmare. 

How do i get in contact with him

We run an 18 RR. Brilliant bike. Other riders I know all have positive comments, No bother, other than normal event related maintenance requirements. (Wheel bearings, headstock bearings & suspension linkages to grease). Keihin PWK needs keeping an eye on.  Importer recommended we check the multi pin connector on the loom. Which we did & all was OK. 

Sounds like you have a one off problem child. Mr  UK TRS & his dealer should be giving you plenty of support. As we have seen in recent years, its very hard work for a manufacturer to shake off a bad reputation.   

10 hours ago, monteeman said:

From what you have said, I wouldn't be buying another one either. 

How old is the bike, 2 years?

Its clearly no developed properly before you are having these kind of problems.  it shouldn't be corroding in that time, that's poor, and the fact they wouldn't replace the cdi  item is also pretty poor, because its clearly not fit for purpose. 

I would speak to the importer and see if they will help, or failing that, speak to a solicitor and see if you have a case for making them take it back as its not fit for purpose. 

The bike is 1 year and 6 months old

• Like 1