Which bike? Sherco, Scorpa, Trs

Clanned

I have a TRS RR 250CC 2018. I bought it because on paper it looked great, tech forks, Reiger shock, same dry weight as the Vertigo Titanium etc etc

However, from a Clubman riders perspective, it's just too powerful and by that I mean it's an absolute animal. I've add a low pressure cylinder head insert, a smaller front cog, a slow throttle and still can't tame it.

I'm in the market for a new bike myself and so far I've tested the new Vertigo Combat 250 2020, Beta Evo 250 2020, the new Factory Sherco 250 2020 & 300 models and they all feel A LOT smoother than my TRS.

I let another rider (who rides 50/50) have a go on it last weekend and when he handed it back he said "I used to have a 300 before, a Gas Gas, too powerful for me"......it's a throttled down 250cc.

My personal preference from the ones I've ridden is the Beta Evo 250 2020 and I intend to just upgrade the rear shock if I do get one.

Good solid bike, easy to maintain, super smooth to ride, cheaper than some other bikes and I'm told they hold their value better than some as well. I just wish the kick start was on the right hand side!

Without meaning to hijack Clanned's post, by all means, if you all think I'm about to make the wrong move, I'm also open for suggestions?

Cheers

One person in our club had the TRS 250 - the "One" not the RR.  This has a Dell'Orto carb on it and is supposedly less fierce than the Keihin.  He had a TRS 300 prior to that and said it was too much.  I liked that bike and wanted one but couldn't find one so settled on the RR 280.  I am surprised that you find the 250 RR such a handful.  I was wary of the 280 but it really was all I could find at the time and the guy in the shop was very reassuring that it (280) was smooth power and I would be OK.  It took a few weeks to get used to but I find it OK.  There is more power there than my wife's Beta (but it is an older one).  My bike is standard and fast throttle.

I think I must be so bad I am not getting into bother ?

Ha ha,

Possibly different terrain...:)

I ride mostly in the Yorkshire Dales, up fells. The sections my brother-in-law sets out for me I can't do on my TRS, but on his Beta 250 2019 I find it a breeze.

He's a 50/50 (sometimes expert rider) and he doesn't like the TRS either, but did say they are a bit like Marmite, some people (as per this thread) absolutely love them. 

I had heard it's the carb that makes it so fierce, I've heard it's the same on most 'factory' bikes so maybe it's just standard bikes for my riding style (complete lack of ability....)

One thing that I would say is categorically rubbish on the TRS is the turning circle, I've never known a trials bike to lock out when turning, not sure why they haven't sorted that tbh. I assume the better riders don't care because they can flick the back end around but for me it's a crippler in some sections.

1 minute ago, Joe@Trial said:

Ha ha,

I ride mostly in the Yorkshire Dales, up fells. The sections my brother-in-law sets out for me I can't do on my TRS, but on his Beta 250 2019 I find it a breeze.

He's a 50/50 (sometimes expert rider) and he doesn't like the TRS either, but did say they are a bit like Marmite, some people (as per this thread) absolutely love them. 

I had heard it's the carb that makes it so fierce, I've heard it's the same on most 'factory' bikes so maybe it's just standard bikes for my riding style (complete lack of ability....)

One thing that I would say is categorically rubbish on the TRS is the turning circle, I've never known a trials bike to lock out when turning, not sure why they haven't sorted that tbh. I assume the better riders don't care because they can flick the back end around but for me it's a crippler in some sections.

Sounds like you'd be happier with a Beta then,which is a lot softer,and has the most lock of all.Sounds like you've convinced yourself that you can't ride the TRS,once that thought is there it doesn't go away.I don't like Beta,but a lot of riders do,Personal preference really 

1 hour ago, lineaway said:

And it does not grip, or turn and weighs a ton more!

I have never felt my 4RT lacks grip or has any big issues turning and really don't have any issue with the slight weight difference...  

But then again you ride a Beta so turning wouldn't be as good on a 4RT by comparison, a 2T rider like yourself wouldn't think it grips as well because a 4T bike grip is different because of the way the power comes on, and yes 6 to 8 lbs more is quite a bit when talking trials bikes but hay I don't ride at the top level so I guess I can loose some lbs myself to make up for the difference.  (Also, trying to figure how how 8lbs is a ton?)

LOL

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1

You would get a better answer if you added some information, like what level do you ride, do you ride sections slow and methodical ot fast, do you hop it about etc etc. there are loads of factors which would help others advise, but I just see the answers along the lines of "my trs is great so you're gonna love it", whereas you might hate it.

Me, I wouldn't touch any of them, 4rt all the way.

• Like 1

I ride expert level and like to hop the bike a lot.

I'm riding the section's pretty fast.

My current bike is a gasgas txt pro 280 racing 2013. Great bike love the power and the light weight but looking for some newer model

• Like 1

It also depends on your local dealer. I will stand by my first post, I would look some more. If you like the Gasser you would love the TRS, but I would go at least the 2018 RR. My son rides one, and we have several 2020`s in our club already, For your style, it would be Sherco or TRS. The Beta is more a clubman bike and a 4RT are for Honda lover`s.  

On ‎1‎/‎31‎/‎2020 at 4:51 PM, Joe@Trial said:

Ha ha,

Both bikes have the same carb     keihin     .