348 front wheel axle spacers

sparkieb

OK im at front wheel refitting times, and i have these two spacers on the spindle. Everything was kept together so these two did come off, but dont seem to fit correctly. Does the one with a lip fit inside the fork leg ? Both are slightly different outside diameters which seems odd. Does the spindle pull up tight to them before nipping clamp up ? Montesa diagram is useless so hope someone can help. Cheers Mark

15802285911211206952892695724169.jpg

It's strange that there's no tell tale seal track on the lipped one but, from memory (40 years ago) the smaller diameter of the lipped one located in the speedo drive therefore the larger diameter goes towards the bearing, with a narrower spacer between the drive and fork. If I'm wrong then it won't be long before I'm corrected.

All looks very highly polished. You have deleted the speedo drive then? I’m going to recheck my front wheel spindle spacer set up. The lipped spacer is fitted on the speedo drive side, plain spacer on the opposite ( brake ) side. Wheel centralisation i.e. rim to fork leg was off the first time of installation, took it all apart refitted and rim was then central. The spindle and fork mount are susceptible to tiny burrs from indiscriminate force when entering the spindle into the fork. 

Yes the speedo drive and the other part now replaced by the one piece spacer, its within 1mm of central now and tightens up without pulling on the fork legs. It was difficult to measure but happy with it now. Theres no spacer on the brake side of mine or it would be way off?

Edited by sparkieb

Good job done there.

What is it with Montesa fork assembly?

I had to do similar to my 248. 

I started off on the brake side and added / removed washers until I got the wheel central and then added / removed washers on the speedo drive side, including the speedo drive which I have kept.

As you can imagine, took rather a long time to get this right.

Once I was happy, I was able to remove the spindle and measure the pile of washers, and then turn up the spacers for each side.

IMG_20190227_224854.jpg

Edited by dr nosh
  • Like 1

Restoring this 348 (1975) has been fun, still about 6 months away from finishing, but bloody hell sometimes you wonder what montesa engineers were thinking. Like the odd sizes they use,  7mm on engine case ? and getting the gear selection spot on drove me nuts ?  but i have to say its been enjoyable

17 hours ago, sparkieb said:

Restoring this 348 (1975) has been fun, still about 6 months away from finishing, but bloody hell sometimes you wonder what montesa engineers were thinking. Like the odd sizes they use,  7mm on engine case ? and getting the gear selection spot on drove me nuts ?  but i have to say its been enjoyable

Sounds like you might have a few more special design features to discover yet :)

• 8 months later...

If you can centralise the wheel between the forks, measuring for spacers is difficult but do-able, im lucky in having a lathe so spacers could be machined and altered. The polishing was just lots of time and effort with polish and "0000" gauge wire wool.