Jump to content

Joe@Trial

Tech forks

Recommended Posts

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on a Beta Evo 2020 250cc but wondered if it's worth it.

I asked the guys at Splat show and got an extremely comprehensive response, the level of detail they go to with their responses is truly amazing.

However, the detail was mainly around the rear shock.

Regarding the front suspension they 'alluded to' the Tech Fork being the same functionally as the standard Beta Evo forks, just lighter.

What does everyone think? Are tech fork just lighter or is there a real benefit (for a Clubman rider) I'm over looking? Also, are Showa forks any good?

Cheers

Edited by Joe@Trial

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

19 factory beta had very good forks, had this discussion already several times. Beta suspension is really good, if you're a top rider you may feel the need for a different shock but I thought the forks were brilliant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

All modern trials bikes have very good suspension, both front and rear.  With that said i have upgraded both of my Betas 2016 4T 300 and 2017 2T 250 with Ohlins rear shocks. After much fiddle farting around i have them working better (for me) than the stock shocks.  I have tried the latest Vertigos, TRS, Beta 300SS(loved the motor,but rear end was too stiff) and just the other day a 2018 Monty 260 Repsol (setup was perfect, wouldn't touch a thing).  I liked them all, but felt my bikes where not at any disadvantage. I used to change out a bike every year, or year and a half, don't feel i need to do that any more.  As a clubman rider both you (and myself) would benefit from riding more, in different riding areas, with better riders rather than ourselves.  Just watched a video of Dougie Lampkin riding his 94 model Beta, he's riding some pretty scary stuff, even back then.  Run your new 2020 Beta for a while, fiddle with the forks a bit. Try some bikes with the tech forks, if you like them and feel you will get your moneys worth then go for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

You've got to be pretty good to need better suspension,waste of money unless you're centre expert level or better

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
8 hours ago, Joe@Trial said:

Hi All,

I'm looking to upgrade the suspension on a Beta Evo 2020 250cc but wondered if it's worth it.

I asked the guys at Splat show and got an extremely comprehensive response, the level of detail they go to with their responses is truly amazing.

However, the detail was mainly around the rear shock.

Regarding the front suspension they 'alluded to' the Tech Fork being the same functionally as the standard Beta Evo forks, just lighter.

What does everyone think? Are tech fork just lighter or is there a real benefit (for a Clubman rider) I'm over looking? Also, are Showa forks any good?

Cheers

I would be more worried with gearing more than anything. Hopefully you bought the factory model.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
On 1/31/2020 at 8:35 AM, carlos said:

All modern trials bikes have very good suspension, both front and rear.  With that said i have upgraded both of my Betas 2016 4T 300 and 2017 2T 250 with Ohlins rear shocks. After much fiddle farting around i have them working better (for me) than the stock shocks.  I have tried the latest Vertigos, TRS, Beta 300SS(loved the motor,but rear end was too stiff) and just the other day a 2018 Monty 260 Repsol (setup was perfect, wouldn't touch a thing).  I liked them all, but felt my bikes where not at any disadvantage. I used to change out a bike every year, or year and a half, don't feel i need to do that any more.  As a clubman rider both you (and myself) would benefit from riding more, in different riding areas, with better riders rather than ourselves.  Just watched a video of Dougie Lampkin riding his 94 model Beta, he's riding some pretty scary stuff, even back then.  Run your new 2020 Beta for a while, fiddle with the forks a bit. Try some bikes with the tech forks, if you like them and feel you will get your moneys worth then go for it.

Hi, my biggest question is....where did you find an Ohlins? I've looked everywhere.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

One came from Splat shop in the UK.  The other came from R-Racing just outside of Stockton California, but that one was hand built by Randy Lewis. They look totally different. The r-racing has a built on reservoir with a compression adjuster.  I believe Rieger makes an aftermarket shock for the Beta as well, available thru Splat shop. If shopping on-line make sure to click on US currency, it removes the Value Added Tax (22%)  and get Royal Mail delivery. Fed-ex or UPS adds an import fee, Royal Mail does not. It's pretty fast too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
21 hours ago, carlos said:

One came from Splat shop in the UK.  The other came from R-Racing just outside of Stockton California, but that one was hand built by Randy Lewis. They look totally different. The r-racing has a built on reservoir with a compression adjuster.  I believe Rieger makes an aftermarket shock for the Beta as well, available thru Splat shop. If shopping on-line make sure to click on US currency, it removes the Value Added Tax (22%)  and get Royal Mail delivery. Fed-ex or UPS adds an import fee, Royal Mail does not. It's pretty fast too.

Thanks for the info. I did find a guy who says he can build one as well, just need to give him the measurements off the stock one.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Randy had the exact same bike i have, a 2017 Factory 2T 250cc, and he's been in the trials game for many years, so the shock was setup pretty good from right out of the box.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...