Beta clutch drag on new EVO 200

billktm

Hi, quick question if I may, which I know may have been covered before on older Betas but this is new. Slight clutch drag ie, not disengaging instantly which is frustrating on a new bike but im told (having never owned one before) that it is common on Beta and will need a good 'running in' and oil change. On questioning the oil type/grade we all seem to have our own personal ideas and preferences indeed reasons why one is better than the other. A couple of dealers suggest either Putoline NANO TRANS or GP10, others with good riders suggest part synthetic, not fully synthetic and others good grade 4T 10/30 or 10/40. Some have recommended a clutch mod but surely that isn't nec on a new 2020 model - is it? Your thoughts on this subject indeed with suggestions (and why) would help me no end. (Ive had just about every type of bike during the last 45 yrs but never a Beta or this problem)

Regards, Bill  (Tue 04 Feb 20)

The Beta clutch is not great.  The Nano Trans is definitely an improvement based on the two Beta bikes I have had.  But I do agree with you a 2020 bike should not need modification from new, but if the clutch is the same one that was in all the other models then yes - it does.

Several oils are known to reduce drag (atf, nano trans, and 300v in several grades) 

Reducing the spring preload can also help, swapping out the two thicker plates if they're still fitted or using spacers on the springs.

Both of the above affect the feel so it's mainly a matter of preference.

The "fix" improves the finish on the plates, you would need to take a look at them to work out whether it might help.

On a new bike I'd run it a bit and do an oil change before doing anything else.

• Like 1

After the first event from new I replaced the oil in my Beta 200 2020 with Putoline GP 10 which works fine, no clutch issues. However Betas do seem to benefit from running in, especially the brakes and suspension so maybe the clutch too.  

light_gear_1ltr_70154_-228x228.jpg

Edited by micm
missing word

2 hours ago, micm said:

After the first event from new I replaced the oil in my Beta 200 2020 with Putoline GP 10 which works fine, no clutch issues. However Betas do seem to benefit from running in, especially the brakes and suspension so maybe the clutch too.  

light_gear_1ltr_70154_-228x228.jpg

Thank you for this info, I will run it in for a couple more hrs and a trial in 2 weeks then try this GP 10 as you and others have suggested. Shame Beta cant get this right after so many years in production. Its my first Beta in 45 yrs of Trials n Enduro and looking forward to trying this smaller engine. Is everything else ok on your new 200?

Rgds..

15 hours ago, totty79 said:

Several oils are known to reduce drag (atf, nano trans, and 300v in several grades) 

Reducing the spring preload can also help, swapping out the two thicker plates if they're still fitted or using spacers on the springs.

Both of the above affect the feel so it's mainly a matter of preference.

The "fix" improves the finish on the plates, you would need to take a look at them to work out whether it might help.

On a new bike I'd run it a bit and do an oil change before doing anything else.

Hi, thank you for your advice..

15 hours ago, ChrisCH said:

The Beta clutch is not great.  The Nano Trans is definitely an improvement based on the two Beta bikes I have had.  But I do agree with you a 2020 bike should not need modification from new, but if the clutch is the same one that was in all the other models then yes - it does.

Hi, thank you for this, am going to try GP 10 first, after running it in for a couple more hrs..

22 hours ago, lineaway said:

425 cc of ATF dex 3. Been riding Beta`s since 1990. Also is this your first trials bike!

Hi, thanks for all your input and will be trying various suggestions from you and others. Not keen on ATF but may try it all else fails. Gonna run it in more for a couple of hrs then try GP 10 etc. Unbelievable that we should have to start messing around with plates, springs or washers on a brand new 2020 bike. No, its not my first Trials bike, had em all in 45 yrs but never a Beta. Rgds..