Beta clutch drag on new EVO 200

billktm

The Beta 200 is really a good bike. I would give the clutch a good hard break in. You are right, but it should really not be dragging much. The only way to get a Beta to clutch cleanly is with the shims. That is why the Jap riders have been doing this for decades now. By the way, I was riding Expert already when you first started, and I still do. But poorly.    

38 minutes ago, lineaway said:

The Beta 200 is really a good bike. I would give the clutch a good hard break in. You are right, but it should really not be dragging much. The only way to get a Beta to clutch cleanly is with the shims. That is why the Jap riders have been doing this for decades now. By the way, I was riding Expert already when you first started, and I still do. But poorly.    

Ok thanks, I'll hold back before trying shims, and complete a hard 'run in' with oil change. (ps - we started Trials on the Army BSA B40's back in 1972 but far from being anywhere near Expert. Funnily enough still got one for Classic Twinshock, 1964, with no 'drag' but 'slip' - LOL)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, billktm said:

Is everything else ok on your new 200?

Yup it's all good. Everything works, and the motor is very sweet. You can pull fourth on straighter climbs which impressed me.

Few small points, the UK ones come with Dunlop tyres, there is no wrist engine kill lanyard and the back sprocket is the old 'open slot' variety. All of which you can change if it bugs you.

Welcome to the world of Beta. Clutches have given me plenty of aggro on my two Betas, but everything else has its issues too.

My 250 Evo had a bit of cold stick when I got it and also was difficult to get a good adjustment of the bit point. I did the “clutch fix”, which achieved nothing. I bled the hydraulics but I don’t think there was any air in it anyway. I was also keen to lighten the action slightly so I put a washer on each clutch bolt. One washer was as much as I thought would be safe without risking touching the cover but it wasn’t enough. I’ve now removed two springs altogether and like it that way. I also tried 3 or 4 different oils and only Putoline Nanotrans made any difference. That was the best mod I did. Until this week I was using Nanotrans with whatever residual oil wouldn’t drain out. I’ve just done another oil change so should be 99% Nanotrans now. I’m hoping it might be even better.

On 2/5/2020 at 9:18 PM, micm said:

Yup it's all good. Everything works, and the motor is very sweet. You can pull fourth on straighter climbs which impressed me.

Few small points, the UK ones come with Dunlop tyres, there is no wrist engine kill lanyard and the back sprocket is the old 'open slot' variety. All of which you can change if it bugs you.

Tyres yeah, lanyard done, sprocket done..thanks

Impressed with torque in 2nd gear..

19 minutes ago, trapezeartist said:

Welcome to the world of Beta. Clutches have given me plenty of aggro on my two Betas, but everything else has its issues too.

My 250 Evo had a bit of cold stick when I got it and also was difficult to get a good adjustment of the bit point. I did the “clutch fix”, which achieved nothing. I bled the hydraulics but I don’t think there was any air in it anyway. I was also keen to lighten the action slightly so I put a washer on each clutch bolt. One washer was as much as I thought would be safe without risking touching the cover but it wasn’t enough. I’ve now removed two springs altogether and like it that way. I also tried 3 or 4 different oils and only Putoline Nanotrans made any difference. That was the best mod I did. Until this week I was using Nanotrans with whatever residual oil wouldn’t drain out. I’ve just done another oil change so should be 99% Nanotrans now. I’m hoping it might be even better.

Yep thanks for that, is my first Beta after many different bikes over 45 yrs. Shame we have to go through all this fuss but am refilling with Nanotrans tomorrow before a couple of hrs training so we'll see. Might have to change again as you suggested to remove all old oil. Regards..

19 hours ago, billktm said:

Yep thanks for that, is my first Beta after many different bikes over 45 yrs. Shame we have to go through all this fuss but am refilling with Nanotrans tomorrow before a couple of hrs training so we'll see. Might have to change again as you suggested to remove all old oil. Regards..

I found the Nano Trans improved the clutch over time - by the third or fourth change it was noticeably much better.  I hate to think what chemicals are in it ?

I found a lot of good advice from people on this forum and have gone with the idea of using half a bottle (0.5L) each change to get two changes per bottle.  As the clutch got better I have changed the oil less frequently than before and found it is absolutely OK.  This really made a big difference on the old Rev 3 and has also improved the Evo (which was not anywhere near as bad to start with).

I hope it works for you.