Noob here - Please Have Mercy!

Asphalt Assault

Hello,

Total noobie here thought I'd start with this forum. I live in Orange County, California and looking to give the sport of trials riding a go. I grew up racing motocross in my younger days and have been an avid street rider for the last decade or so. Trials riding has always peaked my interest and decided that 2020 would be the year to give the sport a go. The SoCal Trials Association seems to be a good group and looking forward to riding with the group here shortly.

I am 35, 200 pounds and looking at picking up either a Beta 250 or possibly a 2017 Vertigo Combat that recently came up for sale in NorCal. Seems like Beta would be the safest choice in regards to reliability and local dealers but would appreciate any feedback that the group may have.

Thanks!

-Scott

The Beta 250 would be the best practical first bike. If your not in a big hurry, take a bunch of cash to the Moto Trials National April 25th and 26th. You can find many late model bikes for sale at a great deal AND get a chance to ride them right on location.

Check out www.Lewissportusa.com a western dealer for Vertigo among other brands, up southeast of Sacramento.  Friend just recently took some trials training from Adrian and ended up buying a Vertigo 200 from them.  Really good people.

Art  

30 minutes ago, lineaway said:

The Beta 250 would be the best practical first bike. If your not in a big hurry, take a bunch of cash to the Moto Trials National April 25th and 26th. You can find many late model bikes for sale at a great deal AND get a chance to ride them right on location.

Thank you for the advice. I definitely have this event on my calendar and not necessarily in a rush to purchase a bike. My gut tells me that the Beta 250 is really going to be the best bulletproof and hassle free choice as a beginner. The only reason I was considering the Vertigo is because I found one locally for 6k with updated 2019 maps. Again, really not looking to get into something that is going to be a pain to maintain with no nearby support so going back on fourth on which bike is going to be the best starting point. My budget is around 6k.

Thanks!

-Scott

23 minutes ago, sherco70 said:

Check out www.Lewissportusa.com a western dealer for Vertigo among other brands, up southeast of Sacramento.  Friend just recently took some trials training from Adrian and ended up buying a Vertigo 200 from them.  Really good people.

Art  

Thank you Art. The bike I'm looking at actually came from Lewisport and was very well maintained based on it's history. Being in SoCal, not having the local support is going to be the biggest area of concern over a Beta.

I always tell new riders to hang out with the locals a bit see what they like, I like being able to compare jetting,suspension setup,repair techniques and such. Any of the brands set up well will give you better results than a unusual bike that you will be on your own on development. It might be ok to have a distinctive bike after you learn what works for you if you are wrench adept,but I wouldn’t start the sport that way. Best of luck and have fun! 

Just a quick update that I recently took a look at a 2013 GasGas 300 and also going to check out a 2016 Beta Evo 300 that just recently came on the market. All things equal, the Beta seems like a safer bet and probably the bike that I'm going to go with. I've read some folks noting that a 300 is not the easiest/best bike to learn so not sure if folks have a strong opinion over the other. 

Really appreciate everyone's time and feedback on this thread and looking forward to getting started!

If you were teaching a complete newbie how to ride MX would you start them on a 500cc 2 stroke?  Trials is so very different from MX that it's a bit like starting from scratch ... if you can find a scrappy old 200/250 just to ride for a bit before getting something more permanent it would be a good move IMO

Michigan here and ride all the trials in Wisconsin. Started on my 2015 GG 300 pro 2 years ago(1st trials bike).Don't get a 300 unless that is all you can get or riding at altitude. They don't seem all that powerful till you actually ride them in a trials meet.A smaller smooth bike will cost you less dabs and do pretty much anything. I find the 250,s a much easier bike to handle. I would buy the Beta over a vertigo any day.Way better dealer support. Trs,scorpa,sherco also good support.I ride A class offroad and intermediate in trials.The only thing trials has in common with offroad is they both have 2 wheels.I installed a heavy flywheel weight in my 300 to bring the punch down.The 250 still smoother and easier to ride.I cannot really recommend a GG at the moment till we see what the orange gorilla is going to do with the company.