Wassel / Mudlark

rusty ken

Hi Folks,

I've recently picked up one of the later Wassell frames (the oil in frame one with the twin front down tubes), and am considering pairing it with a Villiers 9e/32a engine that has been sitting on my bench. My hope would be to use it in some twin shock events, but before I get too carried away with the idea, I wanted to ask if anyone here has any experience of using these frames for trials, either with the original Sachs/Puch engine or converted to something different?

While these don't appear to have been a particularly common bike in the early 70's, what is the general opinion on reviving it for twin shock trials?  Or is there a good reason why these weren't overly popular in the period? 

My searches on the web suggest the US version (Penton Mudlark) is an ok trail bike but I've not found a lot of info out there and I'm a bit unsure of it's suitability for trials.  I'd appreciate your thoughts, particularly from anyone who has used them back in the day or more recently in twin shock events? I'd also welcome your thoughts on any mods that would make it more suitable for current events.

I'm not looking to build a world beater, but neither do I want to set out on a fool's errand. I like the idea of having an all British twin shock that would be reasonably right for the period; something a little different to the Spanish and Japanese bikes that seem to make up the majority of the current twin shock entry.

I look forward to your thoughts.  Thanks.

• Like 1