2005 cota 4RT any good?

fordigas

Not too familiar with any of the 4t montesa's and im just getting back into trials. I had an 03 315 new and loved it and also appreciated the build and reliability of the honda side of it especially compared to my REV 3 I had after.

I have an opportunity of buying a VERY tidy 2005 4rt and was wondering if anyone had info on what they are like especially as this is one of the first ones. Did they have any quirks which have since been ironed out?

I know its now an old bike but this particular bike is at my price range but like new so makes it quite desirable. Spending the same money on a much newer bike would only give me something very "ridden". I dont think id really notice the advancement so dont need the latest bike out there.

Up to the introduction of the 260 the biggest changes came in 2009 with the introduction of a new silencer (a bit quieter) and altered steering head angle.  I have a 2009 but, from the shots I've had on earlier models, prefer the steering on the earlier one as it feels lighter on the front to me.  Nothing wrong with the later one, just my preference.

The early ones had a crude (not just by Honda standards) system of silencing whereby there were three (if my memory is correct) restrictors in the exhaust. There was a lot of discussion at the time about which to remove and which to leave in to improve the performance but, if your one has not been sorted, you may still be able to find the info. Indeed, someone may be on here soon to say.

I would go for it - a pal had a 2005 for twelve years and when he changed to the 260 on a whim the old one was still running perfectly on the original plug with the only work being to change the consumables.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke
  • Like 1

I also had a 2005 4rt when they came out. it was a great bike. i also had an (07 or 08, cant remember) ive got a 300 now, and they are not a huge distance apart in the real world, but what I would say is that the early ones were MUCH easier to start, none of the re-set the throttle / ecu crap, etc, it just used to start- like every time. i changed the plug once, from memory and the one that came out was ok. Very very reliable, no issues at all, good suspension etc 

If im being picky- it had a fair bit more engine braking than the newer ones and the exhaust was louder, but you would soon get used to it. 

I would also say the old 05 one was a bit like an off /on switch when you first opened the throttle, it was a little bit jerky. But just learn to ride it off the clutch and you will be fine. I also had a 03, 315 which I loved, and the 4rt was a better bike, more grip, less likely to spin and steered very similar to the 315, but with better suspension.

But overall they are great, I would buy another, especially if its in great condition and cheap, id say get it, you wont regret it

• Like 1

The 3 restrictors to my understanding was because of road legal requirements is some countries, wasn't it? 

Having a few fellow riders with 05's in the past (one a good friend of mine) I don't recall the restrictions on any of there bikes or them talking about removing them.   

Some other things than have not already been noted, that I am aware of, between the 05 and the 06+ was a change in the decompression system for easier starting of the bike.  Also where the 09 had a better silencer my 07 its still a noticeable amount quieter than my friends 05 for reference.  Also, my friends 05 is still not hard to start but my 07 is easier and my 17 300RR is about the same as my 07.

The most apparent difference between my friends 05 and my 07 and my 2017 is the suspension is a lot better on the 17.  A couple years before I got my 17 I had my 07's suspension re-worked so its a lot more like the 17 because it was a bit slow in my opinion and that made the bike feel a bit heavy but I admit I am picky. 

As for a good condition low usage 05 4RT for a decent price, I would jump on it if I was in the market for a used bike.  My 2 cents. 

Edited by jonnyc21

On 2/9/2020 at 5:45 PM, fordigas said:

When you guys say slow suspension do you mean the rebound is slow so harder to hop?

Excellent info so far by the way, many thanks.

Yes, both rebound and compression are slower at the default settings on the early 4RT's in comparison to newer bikes so makes the bike feel slow and heavy by comparison as well as requiring more effort to hop them.  

Turning the settings out closer to the softest side of things helps but for me it was still a bit to slow when the weather turned cold so I had the fluid in mine swapped for 2.5 rather than the sock 5 to speed things up.  Found that held my settings closer to the center of the adjustment range and helps in cold weather as I still have some range adjustment to speed things up when needed.  

Edited by jonnyc21
  • Like 1