Linkage/shock bearing maintenance/knackered

al_orange

How frequently (riding hours) do people re-grease their linkage and shock bearings? 

I've done mine once at 20 hours and now at 27 hours the lower shock bearing is shot. 

(EDIT - So, I've taken apart the linkage and it looks like the bottom shock bearing is a heim bearing and seems to be ok. The play looks to be between the actual bolt and the spacers. Is that normal? I know you can have play there if the bolt is loose but I torqued it to 50nm and it's still there). 

-------- 

Surely every 10 hours would be over the top? 

I do ride muddy areas and I do use a jet wash but surely I would expect them to last longer than that! My enduro bikes get a much harder life and are jet washed to death and the shock bearings will last at least 100 hours. 

Are my expectations unreasonable? 

(Oh and queue next thread on how to best replace them and where to get them from ?)

Edited by al_orange

The actual linkage bearings last well, I clean and 're grease once a month.

I did have to replace the lower shock bearing on my 2017 but I'm not sure how or if a spherical can be lubricated? I just try and get some oil into it. 

How much play are you talking about at the end of the swinging arm ? If it's excessive you can probably buy the spacers separately 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, baldilocks said:

How much play are you talking about at the end of the swinging arm ? If it's excessive you can probably buy the spacers separately 

It's enough that I noticed it when lifting the bike onto the stand. It's not much really but I would expect it to be completely tight on what is basically a new bike. I'm guessing they are normally completely tight? 

The play is between the spacers and the bolt but nothing actually looks worn. I've tentatively tried to remove the spacers but they don't want to budge. The other spacers in the linkage just pull out as per normal. 

Presumably the spacers on the lower shock bearing should come out with a gentle prod? 

Those spacers in the lower shock spherical bearing usually come out ok by prising evenly with a couple of screwdrivers, then you can get grease into the bearing and replace the spacers. Don't try to twist out the spacers as they are knurled so as to provide a tight fit into the bearing. Same for knocking them out with a drift, best not to as they are thin walled. Bye, Peter B.

• Like 2

Even brand new bikes have a little play at the end of the swinging arm , there has to be some play in each bearing or it won't move. If you then add that for each bearing x the length of swingingarm then there is a little bit of play. However this sounds like the spacers are out of spec. 

Could always try bearing fit.....It's just a loctite product. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Even brand new bikes have a little play at the end of the swinging arm , there has to be some play in each bearing or it won't move. If you then add that for each bearing x the length of swingingarm then there is a little bit of play. However this sounds like the spacers are out of spec. 

Could always try bearing fit.....It's just a loctite product. 

Sure. That makes sense. It was/is the very definite clunk that got my attention. On inspection, the top hat spacers on the bottom shock bearing are pretty sloppy on the bolt (and are not in any way worn). The other bearings are as good as can be. Have ordered new spacers and o-rings and will report back when they come. 

Have received the new spacers and o-rings. One of the old spacers is slightly bigger than the others (only by 0.05mm). Will fit it all and see if it makes any difference. 

Interestingly, both the original o-rings were cut and damaged. The new ones looks good but were £4.20 each! 

So yeah... It didn't make any difference at all. 

Ah well. At least I'm now used to servicing the linkage, have replaced the two knackered o-rings and have some spare spacers to hand. 

To their credit, BVM said it might be a waste of money as they would expect some play even on a new bike (as mentioned above).