wheres toni?

nigel dabster

Read on social media last week he is concentrating on World & X-Trial as he is struggling with fitness. from his FB page:

"Good morning to tod@s, today I want to communicate that I have made a difficult decision, but at the same time necessary. After winning 11 Spanish Championships, I think it's time to consider the participation in this new season that will start this next weekend. Although it costs me to recognize it and the results say otherwise, my body is no longer the one from ten years ago and every time I have to take care of it That's why, because I also need to prepare physically for the big challenges, which I have decided to prioritize my competitions calendar to continue to give to the highest level So, this season I will play in the world of x-trial and trialgp and also, if they call me for it, in the two competitions for national teams. I don't close the door to cet definitively and I don't discard returning to a contest that so many joys has given me. Thank you all for your support."

Don't really know how to take that. Not many sports compete all year round like trials, but with 7 outdoor rounds and 8 indoor thats only 15 weekends a year of events, not that much. Seems weird Raga, fuji, cabes, jeroni have been able to compete every event while older, and probably getting a harder time of it compared to Bou. I guess you cant compare people injuries and bodies at similar ages. Maybe Bou's doing it right and the others have been burning themselves out.

Would be even more surprised if he doesnt make an appearance just before the outdoor season starts

Edited by faussy

I read a report of the Barcelona indoor that said he had back and rib injuries from a training crash and had been unable to practice in the week leading up to the event. I imagine he sees this as a way of prolonging that 13 year world championship run. Indoor title #14 looks to be in the bag.

Edited by neils on wheels

It's not uncommon these days for elite athletes to concentrate solely on certain "major" events to limit physical degrading, especially when the purse money is more substantial. Tiger woods is an example of someone who has pretty much dominated his sport, won just about everything going and now at a later age has to protect his body against injury. Bou is no different, has had a previous serious back injury so limiting his activity to protect against further damage makes sense. He has nothing left to prove, so missing out on a domestic title to favour a world title seems sensible to me. 

Edited by Intotrials

19 hours ago, Intotrials said:

It's not uncommon these days for elite athletes to concentrate solely on certain "major" events to limit physical degrading, especially when the purse money is more substantial. Tiger woods is an example of someone who has pretty much dominated his sport, won just about everything going and now at a later age has to protect his body against injury. Bou is no different, has had a previous serious back injury so limiting his activity to protect against further damage makes sense. He has nothing left to prove, so missing out on a domestic title to favour a world title seems sensible to me. 

Tiger woods is perhaps not the best example, though?

I more than likely, at my age, will not see, Toni riding a classic twin shock,  but I really like seeing past champions still having an obvious good time riding trials. 

Some of the youth are certainly on the way up in the skills. 

Art